Behavior Paraprofessional, Alpha Instructional Team
Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and helping to change their educational trajectories? Staff at Alpha have the opportunity to close the achievement gap for low-income students while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
As a Behavior Paraprofessional you will join a team that upholds high expectations, fosters social development, and facilitates the intellectual growth of our scholars. You will provide in-the-moment behavior support and coaching for all students. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career. We are looking for enthusiastic educators to provide targeted academic and behavioral support for our kindergarten scholars.
What you'll do…
Support in an academically rigorous classroom through activities such as
- Provide individual behavior and academic support to specific student(s) in the general kindergarten classroom
- Support class teams in implementing individual and classroom behavior structures, addressing off task behaviors and acts of defiance
- Collaborate with special education and general education teachers to optimize push-in services
- Remove student(s) for check ins/resets
- Respond to crisis behavior as necessary and ensure safe practices
- Serve as point person when the student(s) elope
- Collaborate with Kinder Teacher, Kinder Paraprofessional, Special Education Teachers, School Leadership Team, and K-4 design lead regarding student(s) needs and progress as necessary
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate notes and complete paperwork, as required
- Help to maintain a clean and organized learning environment
- AA Degree required (BA preferred in Applied Behavior Analysis or related field)
- OR completion of two years of college, not a degree but 72 quarter hours or 48 semester hours of college credit
- OR a passing score on the Praxis Parapro Assessment Test
- Flexible and patient, with a deep commitment to scholars with exceptional needs
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
- Experience in day-to-day behavior management and supporting long-term behavior change
You stand out by being...
- Committed: You are committed to working with scholars with exceptional needs in traditionally underserved communities
- Relationship Oriented: You build strong relationships with scholars and adults alike, and you successfully strike a balance of nurturing and firm in your communication with scholars
- Focused on Growth: You exhibit a strong commitment not only to our scholars, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to implement feedback quickly
- Collaborative: You are especially team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute on tasks
- Patient: You believe in the long-term growth of scholars with exceptional needs, and are patient, compassionate, and flexible as you help them achieve their potential
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org