We’re looking for a passionate and creative designer to help tell the story of Joy across every aspect of the company and product. As a visual designer on our Brand, Marketing and Systems team you’ll obsess over finding unique and innovative ways to bring joy to what people see, do, think and feel when experiencing our product. You’ll be responsible for how Joy is communicated, remembered and brought to life. You’ll work closely with the rest of the product and marketing teams owning visual design and communication across online and offline experiences.
What you’ll do
- Shape the visual identity of our brand as the company evolves.
- Evolve and scale our brand expression across disciplines by systemizing and maintaining design systems and guidelines.
- Refine and expand our illustration and iconography style and kits.
- Elevate our visual brand within the product experience.
- Creatively tell our story and highlight our product values and features on Withjoy.com front-site and all interior pages. This includes micro-sites, advertising landing pages and editorial pages.
- Collaborate with marketing, business and product teams by taking ownership of all visual communications materials both digital and physical including advertisements, event materials, emails, editorial illustration, presentations and more. On a day to day basis this may mean delivering graphic assets, resizes and branded content.
- Work with design and engineering to refine and evolve our UI design system and style guidelines to meet the growing complexity of our product. You are able to work within and expand the Joy style.
- Handle the application of our UI design system across platforms and mediums to ensure a high level of UI polish and consistency.
- Shape and expand our themes, templates and stickers library. This includes designing systems and processes that allow other 3rd party designers to easily contribute to the library, own the reviews and approvals, produce your own contributions, create and deliver assets to engineering and staying up-to-date on the latest trends and styles.
- Champion a high-level of visual craftsmanship in the product through systematic testing and evaluation of engineering deliverables.
What you’ll need
- Amazing attention to detail. You know when something needs to be one pixel to the right or a shade lighter, and you follow through to make it right. You have a keen eye for iconography, typography, color and space.
- The ideal candidate is someone who's passionate about design but doesn’t shy away from wearing many hats.
- Understands that the best experience isn’t crafted in a silo, but is a coordinated team effort across product, engineering and marketing.
- Loves collaboration, giving and receiving feedback, communicates clearly, listens and empathizes with multiple points of view.
- A track record of shipping real product, and an ability to talk about lessons learned along the way. You’ve weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the fit and finish right, how to translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and what’s most likely to go wrong at each stage.
- Wants to join an early stage startup and is excited about going from 15 employees to 500.
- Thrives in the uncomfortable and unknown.
- Scrappy and resourceful.
- Have a design background in both print, digital and branding with a strong visual portfolio.
- 5 or more years working professionally as part of a design team.
- Real world experience developing and maintaining design systems and guidelines.
- Wants play a central role in influencing, crafting and building what design means at Joy.
- Comprehensive experience and knowledge of components and symbols in Sketch or Figma.
- Willing to commute to our SOMA, San Francisco office regularly. This position is not eligible for remote work.
- Basic or advanced video editing and motion graphics skills a big plus
- Traditional drawing, painting and illustration skills would be rad.
At Joy we believe there is always room for making things more joyful. And we’re doing it for events. We are designing a better way to help hosts, planners, goers and doers find and enable new workflows and behaviors between everyone involved in the complex task of event planning.
It is BIG task and we are a small team, which means you will be key player and will have a lot of fun dabbling in all aspects of building a great product and a great company. We’re a Y Combinator and VC funded startup tackling the 100B+ event industry. We welcome people from all backgrounds, millions of people are using our software around the world and we’re just getting started.
Work @ Joy
Fast paced, Challenging, Fun.
The work environment is very dynamic. We iterate often and fast. We talk to our customers. We dig deeper into what is it that they really need. We encourage wearing as many hats as you want. We value humility and honesty over being right every time. We believe ideas win, not people.
Design @ Joy
At our core we believe that design is the product. It’s what people remember. It’s what people feel. It’s what makes our customers fall in love over and over again. It’s the little things, the intangibles and it’s a part of everything we do. We believe design is not just how the product looks and feels but what it does. We prefer simple over complicated. Humans over robots.
We’re looking for all kinds of people
To build a service that’s brings joy to people all around the world, we need a team with all kinds of different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds.
We want to have the best people in every job. Joy policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.