Nextdoor is the world's largest social network for the neighborhood, enabling truly local conversations that empower neighbors to build stronger and safer communities.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 250,000 neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
At Nextdoor, the Systems team is responsible for building, deploying, managing, and securing the underlying cloud-based architecture that powers communities on the Nextdoor platform worldwide. Our team’s core design principles include:
- Automate or it Doesn’t Count
- Secure by Default
- Standardization Limits Complexity
- Plan for the Full Lifecycle of Infrastructure
Through these principles we build infrastructure and tooling that is iterable, scalable, and secure. We write everything in code from network infrastructure to server management, database provisioning, and data pipelines. Recently we’ve built database load balancing as a service, secure mechanisms for live production container access, and chatbots to assist with routine actions.
This team has also built Open Source projects including Kingpin, a deployment automation tool that powers our releases and management of AWS resources, pg-bifrost, a logical replication tool for PostgreSQL, Bender, a serverless ETL on AWS Lambda that handles tens of billions of events daily, and smaller projects like code-crypt for storing credentials in code and nd_okta_auth for authenticating to AWS via Okta.
The Impact You’ll Make
As an engineer on Systems, you’ll be part of the team that helps Nextdoor stay ahead of the curve - you'll build tools and automation that drive the entire fabric of how we use the cloud. You’ll get to work closely with platform, data, security, and product teams to build the future of our infrastructure.
You’ll get to roll up your sleeves to design, build, deploy, and truly own the building blocks that power Nextdoor. You’ll work on:
- Automating configuration and bootstrapping of Linux systems.
- Debugging and tuning Linux systems for high throughput containerized environments running tens of thousands of containers.
- Automating the full lifecycle of our elastic and scalable container fleets, networks and Elasticsearch/PostgreSQL/Redis datastores.
- Automating provisioning of CI/CD tools, cloud configuration and compliance management, and identity and access management (IAM) security systems.
What You’ll Bring to The House
- 6+ experience in a DevOps or SRE role.
- Firm understanding of object oriented languages.
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Cloudformation, Puppet, Salt, Ansible, Terraform, Packer).
- Thorough understanding of Linux and networking protocols (TCP/IP, UDP).
- Strong debugging and performance tuning skills using software like gdb, perf, strace, ltrace, tcpdump, Wireshark, etc.
- Experience with performance, automation, monitoring, and capacity planning.
- A desire to learn about new technologies and systems.
- Experience using Docker or other containerization software.
- Linux certifications such as Linux+, Network+, RHCSA/RHCE/RHCA or similar.
- Experience in large scale compute environment with hundreds or thousands of servers.