Senior Researcher (Remote - US/Canada or SF HQ):
GitHub powers the software development community. Since 2008, our platform has brought people together to collaborate on code, share ideas, and solve problems to build the future. As the largest host of open source software, GitHub is proud to be the place that open source communities like Swift, React, Kubernetes, and Node.js call home. The world's largest community of software developers are building and collaborating on GitHub. It's our job to keep them happy and continually craft the tools that help them solve amazing problems.
Senior Researcher, we're looking for you to join us on the GitHub Customer Research team! The Customer Research team at GitHub is a core part of the Product organization and works closely with PM, design, and analytics.
Our job is to help GitHub build the tools and experiences that support the future of software development. As researchers, we love exploring how people behave and learning what motivates them.
When we understand customers’ mental models, their team’s workflows, and their organization’s constraints, we can make smarter product bets.
Our work varies from week to week - across a variety of methods you'll likely be answering questions like:
- What are new-to-GitHub users expecting to find when they sign up?
- Why did customers try feature X once but not make it a regular part of their workflows?
- How do these early workflows align with how customers think about their projects?
- What factors influence how quickly and how thoroughly people respond to work items?
This is an opportunity to impact how our organization develops the practice of research. If you think this is for you, we’ll give the support you need to do your best work in getting there.
- Build and scale usability and qualitative research methods and processes
- Collaborate closely with design, product management, and engineering leads to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced environment
- Create understanding and empathy around user needs, stated and unstated, for the entire product organization
- Present research findings with a compelling presentation and communication style
- Coach and mentor others
- Occasionally travel to conduct research
- You have broad experience with a wide variety of qualitative research methods applied across the product development process
- You have experience conducting semi-structured interviews, contextual field visits, usability testing either live or remote
- You know how develop tools that democratize research practices across a product organization
- You have experience conducting research on developer tools or other technical products
- Familiarity with GitHub, programming, or the ability to quickly self-teach
- You bias toward action
- 7+ years leading end-to-end (study design, test creation, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting) research projects with demonstrated impact
- Experience working with a remote, distributed team (about 70% of GitHub’s workforce is distributed across the globe and our research team works remotely)
- You have experience formulating research questions based on quantitative data, or have developed close relationships with a data/analytics team in the past
- You have strengths in a particular research specialty: design strategy, service design, generative and exploratory research, surveys, statistical modeling, analytics/visualization, etc.
- You have successfully promoted research as a valuable asset at previous companies
- You have experience conducting research in markets outside of the US, Europe, or Canada
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.