Joy is looking for a senior product designer to join our founding design team. The ideal candidate is someone who's passionate about product design but doesn’t shy away from wearing many hats. Someone who understands that the best experience isn’t crafted in a silo, but is a coordinated team effort across product, engineering and marketing. Someone who loves collaboration, giving and receiving feedback, communicates clearly, listens and empathizes with multiple points of view, and cares about the fit and finish of every detail of the product.
We’re looking for a designer who wants to join an early stage startup. Who is ready for an uncomfortable, but incredibly rewarding challenge. Someone who is excited about going from 15 employees to 500. Who is scrappy and resourceful. And someone who wants play a central role in influencing, crafting and building what design means at Joy.
What you'll do
- Experience designing for mobile and web
- Work closely with Product, Engineering and Marketing to represent the design team, facilitate design discussions, and give feedback in planning and product discussions.
- Work extremely closely with Engineering to ensure a high-quality design implementation and user experience
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other product designers and teammates in your product team
- Help define and influence the design culture. Champion design thinking, process and practice as we scale and grow
- Interview new Product Designers and actively inform our inclusive design hiring process.
- Mentor and lead other designers on the team
- Give internal brown-bags and talks about design
- Help make Joy a fun place to work
What you'll need
- 5+ years professional experience
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity
- Strong visual design and communication skills
- A lover of typography
- Believes in sketching and rapid prototyping
- Not afraid to start over
- Experience with end-to-end product design
- Shipped real product to real customers
- Contributed as a leader in design and a strong collaborator with product managers and engineers
- Can wear many hats. From product design and definition, Hi-fi and Lo-fi prototyping, pixel-perfect visual mockups to user research and talking to customers.
- Experience with mobile design patterns
- On top of the latest apps and experiences in mobile
- Sketch or Figma or XD. Not Photoshop and Illustrator
- Principle, Framer or Origami
We need candidates who are willing to commute to our SOMA, San Francisco office regularly. This position is not eligible for remote work.
At Joy we believe there is always room for making things more joyful. And we’re doing it for events. We are designing a better way to help hosts, planners, goers and doers find and enable new workflows and behaviors between everyone involved in the complex task of event planning.
It is BIG task and we are a small team, which means you will be key player and will have a lot of fun dabbling in all aspects of building a great product and a great company. We’re a Y Combinator and VC funded startup tackling the 100B+ event industry. We welcome people from all backgrounds, millions of people are using our software around the world and we’re just getting started.
Work @ Joy
Fast paced, Challenging, Fun.
The work environment is very dynamic. We iterate often and fast. We talk to our customers. We dig deeper into what is it that they really need. We encourage wearing as many hats as you want. We value humility and honesty over being right every time. We believe ideas win, not people.
Design @ Joy
At our core we believe that design is the product. It’s what people remember. It’s what people feel. It’s what makes our customers fall in love over and over again. It’s the little things, the intangibles and it’s a part of everything we do. We believe design is not just how the product looks and feels but what it does. We prefer simple over complicated. Humans over robots.
We’re looking for all kinds of people
To build a service that’s brings joy to people all around the world, we need a team with all kinds of different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds.
We want to have the best people in every job. Joy policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.