The ideal candidate possesses leadership capabilities, solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results under a SOX compliant environment. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
This position reports to the Associate Director, Accounting & Financial Reporting and is responsible for timely and efficient general ledger close, reconciliations and account analysis.
- Accurate and timely monthly/quarterly/annual accounting for assigned balance sheet accounts such as fixed assets and accruals (e.g. legal, building related, general accruals, clinical, leases, Intercompany loans) as well as P&L accounts. Responsible for accurate and timely monthly reconciliations of assigned close accounts as well as flux analysis
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes. Make recommendations for changes as needed and ensure that company policies and procedures are followed and establishes the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud
- Coordinate closely with AP group to ensure accuracy of month end accruals. Perform monthly analysis on unrecorded liabilities such that accrual accounts are always “audit ready“
- Support accounting and tax quarterly and annual audit requirements
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices and studies regulations and guidance to ensure correct application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices
- Participate in strategic financial projects including upgrades/implementation of SAP ERP software
- Ownership for all aspects of SOX controls and documentation for areas of responsibility
- Cross train and act as primary backup in other areas such as investments, consolidations and equity
- Assist in performing reporting and technical accounting research and analysis
- Ad-hoc requests projects as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance and preferably a MBA/Master's degree in a related field, CPA a plus
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years of strong progressive GAAP experience required, familiarity with budgeting, planning and cost accounting desirable
- Experience with clinical and R&D accruals highly desirable
- Detailed commercial accounting knowledge
- Must be systems “savvy“ and extremely proficient in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.In addition, strong knowledge of a major ERP system (e.g. SAP) is needed.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication ability combined with strong analytical skills
- Capability to think “out-of-the-box“ as the business continues to grow and necessitate change in Finance/Accounting business processes
- Experience with SOX required
FibroGen is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, creed, national origin/ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.FibroGen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
E-Verify: Notice to all Prospective Employees
Notice to Recruiters and Search Firms
FibroGen makes every effort to source and hire its staff through direct recruitment methods. Employment opportunities at FibroGen are managed by our internal human resources team. Please do not contact hiring managers or other FibroGen employees.
FibroGen does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. FibroGen does not accept unsolicited communications from external recruiters. If there is a specific business need, a human resources team member will contact external recruiters directly.
An agency or independent recruiter must have a current, signed agreement and a work order for a specific position with FibroGen before presenting candidates and must be presented to human resources. Submission of unsolicited resumes without a signed agreement and an applicable work order will not create an obligation on the part of FibroGen to pay a fee of any kind.