CircleUp harnesses the power of machine learning and predictive analytics to discover some of the fastest-growing companies in the consumer & retail sector. Our mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive by giving them the resources and capital they need. We are building a predictive data system called “Helio“ to bring the data-driven revolution that has occurred in the public markets to the private markets, starting with consumer & retail.
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced corporate counsel to serve as Senior Counsel - Commercial/Privacy. You will drive several vital legal initiatives, among them contract review and negotiation, privacy and data security, regulatory and compliance issues as well as handling day-to-day matters (employment matters, liaising with outside counsel, etc.). The ideal candidate will have prior experience with a startup in the tech or fintech space. This is an exciting opportunity to work on challenging technology and business issues around cybersecurity, privacy and data protection. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact. This position reports to the General Counsel.
CircleUp was recently honored as one of Fast Company's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Data Science and has been named a CB Insights FinTech 250, a Top 5 Most Disruptive Company in Finance by CNBC, and to the Forbes FinTech 50. Founded in 2012, CircleUp is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by Union Square Ventures, GV, Canaan Partners, QED Advisors, and others
- Review, edit, draft and negotiate commercial contracts such as MSAs, partnership agreements, data vendor agreements, and NDAs.
- Participate in drafting and maintaining cybersecurity and privacy programs related to FCRA, GLBA, CCPA, etc.
- Serve as a key member of the legal and compliance team, aiding programmatic management of compliance efforts in line with client and legislative requirements.
- Update and maintain internal legal and compliance policies as needed and in partnership with finance/compliance/information security.
- Create standard agreements or other templates to help scale the legal team support of new deals.
- Work as primary internal legal contact with the data and product teams to execute on deals.
- Liaise with outside counsel to assist with the maintenance of general legal infrastructure, including privacy, data protection, compliance, and other legal concerns.
- Partner with the info-security and engineering teams to ensure compliance with data security standards and norms.
- Build relationships across departments to serve as trusted legal partner who can help improve processes that lead to business growth.
What we look for in you
- J. D. degree (with at least one State Bar Membership - CA preferred) with 7-10 years of legal experience, as a transactional/corporate/privacy attorney with at least some time spent working at a startup.
- Experience in navigating regulatory and privacy frameworks including FCRA, GLBA, and GDPR.
- Strong background and interest in commercial agreements to drive revenue/business growth in FinTech space.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Collaborative, positive, and pragmatic.