We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 50 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
Calm is a small team of engineers solving large scale challenges. The Backend team is the heart of the calm infrastructure. It powers everything from content display to subscriptions. We are constantly developing new features and experiences that help our users get the most out of Calm. This role is incredibly important; we currently operate a node.js monolith on a 300+ pod Kubernetes cluster to serve our high request volume. Help us take Calm’s infrastructure to the exciting next level, powered by microservices. Be a key player in the exciting process of re-envisioning the hidden technology that powers the Calm app. Come join a small, fast moving team that is tackling some of the most fun engineering problems out there.
What you'll do:
- Design, develop, and operate new features and components that will take our product to the next level
- Wrangle and expand the injection of large volumes of event data to power a new wave of personalized features for our users
- Improve the Calm experience by driving enhancements that address network latency and performance.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems
- Participate in the decomposition of the current monolith into a SOA
- Provide technical leadership and experience to a growing team of engineers
- Lead by example with well designed, factored, and tested code
You’ll be effective if you:
- Have strong CS fundamentals
- 5+ years experience in production deployed environments.
- Our current backend languages include: golang, nodejs, python, bash, php, yaml
- Our current frontend clients’ languages include: swift, kotlin, java, objective c, react
- Desire to tackle complex analytical and algorithmic challenges
- Strong network understanding
- Complete from the moment a packet leaves a remote client to the moment it causes a read on the deepest server resource.
- Implementation ownership
- We are a small team that seamlessly meshes through mutual respect and trust. Test your code and make conscious design decisions
- Flexibility - Calm is a fast moving start-up. We regularly try new things to see what our users love. Balancing implementation speed and perfect code is key to our business success
- Humility - We A/B test a vast majority of new ideas. Being wrong is inevitable. By designing features in a way to more deeply understand our customers we are able to make better informed decisions in the future
- Mission - We’re here to make the world happier and healthier with more Calm. We hope you are inspired by what we are accomplishing!
- Competitive salary and equity
- Take what you need PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!