- Design and implement new backend systems which power Joy websites and apps
- Debug complex problems, performance bottlenecks, scale issues.
- Architect the public API of Joy
- Help with DevOps and rolling out systems across multiple regions
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical know-how
- 8+ years of development experience excluding coursework
- Have demonstrated experience in building secure, high-performing REST or Graphql Apis
- Be able to work independently without supervision but still be a great team player.
- Set and hold a high bar for quality.
- Not shy away from complex problems in lure for shiny new things
- Has a great understanding of SQL and NoSQL worlds. We use both Firebase as well as PostgreSQL.
- Instincts for solving tough issues by analyzing logs
- Great at debugging complex applications
- Previous startup experience preferred
We need candidates who are willing to commute to our SOMA, San Francisco office regularly. This position is not eligible for remote work.
Joy wants to disrupt the age-old wedding and event planning industry with technology. We strive to find and enable new workflows and behaviors between everyone involved in planning the big day. This is a gigantic undertaking and we want talented, passionate and fun teams to help us get there.
Work @ Joy
Fast paced, Challenging, Fun.
The work environment is very dynamic. We iterate often and fast. We talk to our customers. We dig deeper into what is it that they really need. We encourage wearing as many hats as you want. We value humility and honesty over being right every time. We believe ideas win, not people.
Engineering @ Joy
Joy engineering is responsible for delivering high uptime backends and lightning fast, exquisitely crafted user experiences across mobile and web. We strive to remain at the cutting edge of technology allowing developers to do their best work here. On the backend we are developing a robust REST and GraphQL platform to empower event management all over the world which supports many thousands of requests per minute. The front ends touch more than a tens of thousands of users daily.
Things which we do differently than many other software companies include the following.
- Directly engaging with customers especially for features which you have build.
- Being a rotating engineer on-call or first responder for engineering.
- Testing your own feature and sometimes helping with testing other people's features.