We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 50 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
As our Senior Backend Engineer, you will get to design and implement a scalable, fault tolerant, cloud based microservices. You'll utilize best practices using bleeding edge technologies. You will be able to write quality code that is stable, reliable, and easy for others to read and maintain. Ultimately you would expand the library of Calm microservices that will take our company to the next level.
We strive to be a top-notch engineering organization with a great culture and have the same high standards with our code, systems, practices, and people. We value learning and growth and hire, diverse, well-rounded, communicative people we can trust.
We are looking for exceptional engineers to join our growing team at Calm. We love to drive innovation in the workplace through hack projects. If you’re looking to make the world a healthier and happier place, come join us.
- Ship code frequently without causing any customer service interruption
- Improve visibility of service performance and health
- Prioritize activities based on current business objectives
- Build a secure application architecture and work with devops to build a secure information architecture
- Volunteers for tasks rather than waiting for them to be assigned
- Stay up to date on the latest Engineering industry standards, and cloud architecture best practices
- Proactively assist other engineers on the team in fixing bugs and shipping features and updates
- Provide fairly accurate engineering time estimates that help determine project priority
- Be on call from time to time if there are critical issues on production that need debugging
- Take ownership and responsibility to finish the projects and issues assigned to you with minimal help from others on the team
- Collaborate in a fast paced environment with multiple teams
- Strong CompSci fundamentals
- Strong network understanding
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Familiar with technologies like:
- AWS or GCP or Azure
- Docker and Docker Compose
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Ownership. Likes to be trusted to follow tasks all the way through
- Flexibility. Ability to compromise.
- Enthusiasm and passion for quality
- No ego: must be humble
- Team player because teamwork makes the dream work
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!