Who We Are:
Founded in 2013, Thistle is a food-tech startup empowering our customers to get and stay healthy. We deliver delicious, organic, healthy, plant-forward meals, cold-pressed juices and snacks to customers in California who want to put their nutrition on auto-pilot. We are not just another food delivery startup or meal-kit company. Our focus is the health and happiness of our customers and we are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is purchased, manufactured, and delivered at scale. Thistle is headquartered in San Francisco and we are backed by some amazing investors in the Bay Area and beyond.
Thistle is in a period of tremendous growth via our core subscription business and we're looking for an exceptional Regional Sales Manager who will be responsible for developing and executing on a strategic sales plan in California for our newly developed wholesale/CPG channel.
About the Role:
Are you a self-motivated individual who loves the thrill of striking a new deal and building & nurturing strategic partnerships? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment where you are surrounded by diverse, passionate and driven coworkers who inspire you to be better and work harder every day? If so, please consider joining our team!
As our very first Sales hire, you will have the opportunity to make a tremendous impact from day one by owning & driving the development of a sales funnel (and sales team) from the ground up. You will own the go-to-market strategy that will increase customer loyalty, distribution growth, and company profitability by building relationships with retailers, distributors, brokers, and corporate clients. This role is responsible for selling and marketing all retail categories of products under the Thistle brand.
The ideal candidate will possess both a strong sales background as well as a passion for improving the lives of others by making plant-based meals more accessible for all - you don’t sell, you educate with empathy. In this role you’ll report directly to our Cofounder/CEO and work closely with other team leads on strategic sales initiatives that affect the company.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop our first sales playbook and execute short and long-term sales objectives and strategies for California - our first market
- Build out and scale a team of sales representatives
- Identify and develop relationships on key accounts in the area to ensure distribution, ordering, programming, brand familiarity, staff trainings and proper visibility
- Develop and maintain sales contact with all customers and new prospects. Once established, maintain and expand existing distribution and volume sales
- Schedule and conduct distributor team meetings to inform and educate sales representatives of brand standards to optimize sales performance
- Manage market work with distributor sales representatives
- Submit and review a weekly account report, monthly calendar and sales planner
- Maintain accurate records regarding distributor profiles, retail and on-premise distribution, and competitive activity and pricing
- Manage all sales expenses and budgets for market/region
- Evangelize Thistle to potential clients across various verticals like nutritionists + naturopaths, fitness studios, employers and stores
- Cultivate great relationships throughout the food industry
- Actively participate in trade shows and customer shows
- Collaborate with Finance Team on promotion planning, trade management and post-promotional analysis to increase effectiveness
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum of 2 years direct sales experience within food and/or bev CPG space
- Experience building and leading teams of sales associates in understanding the grocery, natural/specialty for naturally distributed branded products, preferably with experience in fresh/refrigerated product
- Demonstrated success building a brand or brands in a high growth category
- Ability to develop an analytical sales system, sales planning tools and sales management tools from scratch to a national level
- Proven success working hand-in-hand with Marketing to drive sustainable brand growth
- Strong communication skills, entrepreneurial work ethic, integrity, initiative and “can-do” attitude
- Must be willing to travel up to 50% of the time in California - primarily in the Bay Area to meet with prospects, customers and distributors, attend trade shows, and meet with corporate food decision makers, and occasionally work weekends at events and trade shows as needed
- Strong willingness to travel to meet with customers, attend trade shows and work with distributors
Who You Are:
- Willing to roll up sleeves to do whatever it takes to get the job done for the customer
- Passionate sales executive with classic “best-in-class & quality mentality”, sales and sales management training, and a track record of success at a reputable beverage, manufacturer, or retail food class of trade
- Detail-oriented project owner, with strong attention-to-detail and an ability to juggle multiple priorities.
Life At Thistle:
- Competitive salary and equity compensation.
- Excellent health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision.
- Flexible vacation policy - work hard and take time when you need it.
- Bright, driven coworkers who share your passion for food.
- Free meals - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus snacks & juice whenever you want them! Share with friends and family too 😎
- Shape the growth trajectory and strategic direction of a rapidly-growing startup.
- Fun team outings (incl. happy hours, BBQs, and more).
Diversity and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.