Hipcamp makes it easy to list, discover, and book campgrounds and accommodations on private and public land. Whether you’re looking for a scenic spot to pitch your tent or planning a nature-filled getaway in a cabin, Hipcamp is your go-to guide to getting outside. One of our core beliefs is that people who are connected and aligned with nature are happier and healthier humans. Our mission is to get more people outside and we accomplish this by making nature more accessible, creating revenue to support the protection of land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide. With over 300k sites across public and private land, Hipcamp is the most comprehensive guide to getting outside in the United States.
We have recently raised our Series B from Andreessen Horowitz with returning support from Benchmark and strategic investments from Jay Z and Will Smith. We are embarking on an exciting journey of new growth. In this role, you will have the opportunity to join a team that respects each other, values empathetic leadership, cross-collaboration, and is wildly passionate about what we’re doing.
You can read through our full company values here, they include:
- Leave it better.
- Hold each other up.
- Diversity is strength.
- Practice self-care.
About the Opportunity
Hipcamp’s community is growing fast and we’re looking to add a Product Manager to our team who is excited about growing our Host community and enabling our hosts find success on Hipcamp’s marketplace.
In this role, you’ll work to discover, define, and execute towards features and initiatives that drive host acquisition, activation and success. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial leader who knows how to build the pillars of a business from the ground up and is excited to work hands-on driving impactful initiatives. You’ll build strong relationships and become a champion for stakeholders, leading a cross-functional pod to develop and evolve features. Your work will shape the trajectory and growth of Hipcamp for years to come.
Hipcamp’s culture is built on a deep and genuine commitment to helping people connect with the planet. To accomplish this, we are committed to innovating at every level and are a product company at our core. To us, product doesn’t mean just Hipcamp.com and our mobile apps—it also means the actual campsites and the on-the-ground experience people have. This is a chance to flex your big picture thinking and lead a product that spans online to offline, digital to physical, bits to atoms, HTML to campsite design.
You have been in product management roles before, ideally at a marketplace or a consumer-facing company. You are passionate about building and scaling early stage start-ups through rapid growth. You are extremely data-driven and can extract key insights from mountains of information. You know that “product” spans the entire host experience from the website to the campsite, and that growth doesn’t just happen online. You are excited to work in a strategic and holistic way on this unique challenge and to create an incredibly high-quality experience for the Hipcamp community. You feed of the success of your stakeholders and are a committed partner to other teams.
- Synthesize and prioritize the needs of our Hosts and the internal Teams that work with Hosts. Own the narrative and data behind what problems should be solved, for whom, how, and why it matters
- Become an expert on scaling supply in a healthy two-sided marketplace of hosts and campers with different needs
- Partner with Operations and Sales to prioritize and productionalize host programs
- Create, optimize, and iterate on host acquisition funnels where the ROI is highest
- Develop and iterate on Hipcamp’s value proposition for hosts in collaboration with stakeholders
- Partner with Data Science to identify, understand and activate hosts in key markets
- Own the entire product development lifecycle from concept to launch to adoption
- Build consensus and work collaboratively with engineering, design, and other key stakeholders
- Define success metrics and analyze performance, balancing quantitative and qualitative insights to drive decisions, experiment and iterate quickly
- Maintain a strong bias for stepping up and taking action, yet demonstrate a willingness to learn and take guidance
- Leverage process and create structure to help teams be the most productive
- Extract key insights from data that helps Hipcamp grow supply and demand in diverse markets
- Help evolve the playbook for market expansion and execute against it
- Product Management experience and core competencies: You’ve worked as a PM for 4+ years, and you’ve become an expert by constantly honing your craft
- Product sense: Strong product sense with an ability to envision technology solutions that address user needs and market opportunities
- An operational mindset: You know how to partner with sales and operations teams to scale Host growth and success
- Analytical ability: You can break down open-ended problems, complex systems and move forward in the face of ambiguity. You use data to focus on the metrics that matter. You make data-driven decisions
- Communication skills: Strong intuition for communication strategy — within teams, within the company, to campers, to hosts, and a myriad of other audiences
- Cross-functional leadership: Experience leading teams to effectively ideate, validate, prioritize, build, ship, experiment, measure, and grow new products. You know how to work effectively with designers, analysts, engineers and business stakeholders
- Technical aptitude: You know what it takes to build technical products and drive technical decisions with engineers across the full stack, from the presentation layer down to the data layer
- Ability to see around the corner: You can build products and features that will accelerate how quickly we can grow as a company
- Passion for experience: You are driven to create the best experience possible for your community of customers, and know that you must listen to them to be able to do so.
About Our Work Environment
Health is essential to happiness, and self-care is the foundation of success. We offer full health insurance, a monthly wellness stipend, and $1K annually in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine. It also increases your creativity, lowers your stress and makes you an overall more awesome human.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact, we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.
We support and appreciate individual working styles and help each other’s productivity. Each Hipcamp team member completes a “how to work with me” document so we lay it all out from the get-go without having to guess. We're committed to striving toward and evolving our shared values in ourselves and in other team members.
We take team camping trips together, have a great gear library, and can get you pro deals at various outdoor brands. Our sunny, plant-filled office is between 5th & Mission Street, right next to the Powell BART station. We love sunlight, succulents, the enneagram test, avocados, smoked salmon, bitchin' sauce. We hope you have a (well-behaved) dog to bring to our office.