Internship - Lab Technician/Raw Plant Materials Processing
Brightseed drives health by connecting plants and people at a molecular level. We believe nature has the answers to address the most pressing health challenges of our time. Yet, millions of compounds in the plant kingdom remain unexplored! We built the technology to uncover them using systems biology and machine learning. Brightseed's Forager® is the first and only artificial intelligence designed to understand how plant bioactive compounds impact human biology. Enabled by Forager, we see a future of proactive health, where chronic disease is a thing of the past and feeling great is not an exception. At Brightseed we develop proprietary bioactives and work with partners to enable bioactive applications across industries such as agriculture, packaged food and beverage, specialized ingredients, supplements, personal care, and pharma.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.
You are hoping to gain industry exposure within a fast paced and well-financed start-up. You have passion for how plant based ingredients can improve our overall health and wellness. You are creative and work well with intense timelines and are looking for a summer internship that will broaden your perspective on how various teams impact growth and innovation.
As the owner of this critical step in our research pipeline, you pride yourself on the quality and consistency of the samples you prepare for analyzing. You are also self-starting, mechanically inclined, well-organized, attentive to details, and collaborative, as you will be integrating within a larger team of natural product chemists, molecular biologists, computational biologists, process engineers and product development scientists. Ultimately, you are truly excited about the opportunity to contribute to building a novel collection of natural products that enable consumer health and wellness.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
- You will perform fundamental research activities involving the processing of raw plant materials into physical formats suitable for scientific investigation.
- Your work will include the operation and maintenance of specialized lab equipment that perform drying, size reduction, milling and grinding of plant materials.
- Prepare plant samples for research workflows using a variety of raw materials processing methods and equipment, including freeze-drying, milling/size reduction, material dispensing and multi-well plate preparation
- Maintain excellent records for our plant library and keep accurate, detailed lab notes of all research performed
- Ensure that standard procedures are followed in all aspects of work including machine setup and operation, process verification, product inspection, documentation, material handling, etc.
- Operate a range of laboratory and machine equipment, including a variety of mills and freeze dryers
- Clean parts as required
- Are currently enrolled pursuing your AA, BS, MS, MBA or PHD
- Available to work 20 hours per week in our San Francisco Lab