We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 50 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
As Calm's IT Director you get to build a technology strategy and team while being accountable for further maturing and running the company’s IT systems supporting a variety of Calm’s business initiatives. You will develop, own and implement security policies and procedures in partnership with key stakeholders (e.g., Legal, Operations, Engineering, etc.) to keep Calm and its users safe and secure. The ideal candidate must empower and inspire the IT team to solve technical issues quickly and efficiently. You will scale the IT team, as the helpdesk grows, through streamlined and innovative technologies, platforms, and processes.
- Builds and maintains relationships with other leaders and business executives to develop a clear understanding of business needs and is able to respond with the agility required to address changing business priorities.
- Develop & then deliver elegant IT solutions that drive the efficiency of Calm’s business operations.
- Ensure appropriate governance, prioritization and utilization of Calm’s IT investments.
- Define and deploy security and access policies for company machines and software in partnership with key stakeholders (Legal, Engineering, Operations, etc.).
- Lead and drive initiatives to improve compliance, security, and automation.
- Ensure secure business operations through analysis, monitoring, mitigation of risks in projects, and business continuity planning.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders regarding the progress and effectiveness of IT projects and performance.
- Deliver solutions to ensure productivity across all of Calm’s offices and remote employees. Ensures cost-effective delivery of IT services to meet those needs while anticipating future growth.
- Manage P&L (create budgets and projections of spending, track purchasing, optimize spending, etc.)
- Develop and manage an IT asset purchase / replacement policy and manage the inventory of Calm's IT assets.
- Hire and develop a customer-oriented cross-functional team in systems administration, helpdesk support, IT, network engineering, etc. as Calm continues to grow.
- Setup, update, maintain, and secure office networking hardware.
- Oversee the on-boarding of company employees with hardware, software, and workstation setup.
- 7-10 or more years of experience in IT and business/industry
- Five+ years of leadership & management responsibilities
- Experience with Security and Compliance policy rollout and maintenance
- Proven track record of leading IT teams supporting 100+ employees in a high growth environment (startup experience desired)
- Proven experience demonstrating effective leadership through influence
- Track record of high impact business decisions
- Pragmatic and skilled with prioritization
- Exceptional communicator, both written and verbal
- Expertise with supporting global/remote teams
- Familiar with technologies like: GSuite Administration, Okta, Fleetsmith/Desktop Central, Ubiquiti Networking Hardware, Jira/Zendesk
- Strong project management experience
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Proactive. Will follow up when things don’t get resolved
- Enthusiasm and passion for quality
- No ego: must be humble (this may be the most important one)
- Team player, has to be able to work with lots of people and be patient
- Competitive salary and equity
- Take what you need PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!