SVB Asset Management (SAM) is a Registered Investment Advisor with expertise in short-term fixed income portfolio management. SAM helps high-growth clients in the innovation economy achieve their investment objectives, managing $55B in assets across treasury bills, treasury bonds, commercial paper, ABS, repos, agency bonds, CDs, and money funds.
SAM’s clients are changing the world. They are driving positive change by ushering in a new and better way of doing things and solving complex problems.
For nearly 20 years, SAM has provided market expertise and has built strong, long-lasting relationships to earn clients’ trust. SAM’s client portfolio is evenly split between publicly traded companies and venture-backed companies. SAM manages cash for SVB’s most strategic clients—some of the biggest names in the technology and life science sectors—with investable cash balances ranging from $30M to $2B.
Many of SAM’s clients have unique cash flow profiles, and its seasoned portfolio management team creates customized investment strategies within Separately Managed Accounts to meet the evolving meets of a dynamic client base. SAM prides itself in being an extension of clients’ treasury teams by providing proprietary surveillance, expert investment and credit analysis, and industry-leading reporting.
For more information, please visit: https://www.svb.com/liquidity-management/svb-asset-management.
The Head of SVB Asset Management (SAM) will set the strategy for the business in order to drive substantial growth in revenue and assets and build a leading asset management platform. This leader will help rebrand SAM, expand the business, develop the strategy to expand SVB’s fixed income and credit products and potentially consider the manufacturing strategy. In doing so, the Head of SAM will work most closely with the Head of Liquidity Management and the Chief Product Officer and will be expected to collaborate with and leverage all groups within SVB. For example, the successful candidate will also partner effectively with corporate treasury and the private bank in order to drive efficiencies and create a more disciplined process and operational structure. This role will be based in San Francisco, California.
- Develop and lead the execution of a strategy to substantially grow SVB’s Asset Management business.
- Organize regular business reviews to assess how SAM is executing against its strategy and identify areas in need of additional support and resources
- Achieve growth plans and manage all aspects of SAM P&L
- Create optimal operating model for SAM; right-size the book of business to align with SVB’s growth plans
- Own relationship and contract negotiation with SAM’s custodian, fund providers, and other vendors; incorporate growth of business and align with internal mandate
- Understand technology platforms powering SAM's portfolio—drive the best outcome for clients
- Create operational rigor and structure related to performance metrics, operational risk indicators, account load factors, and others
- Articulate and progress product priorities (e.g., enhance product development and commercialization strategy with all parties)
- Modify incentive programs to align with strategy and broader Liquidity Management mandate
- Partner with Liquidity Advisory team ("liquidity gatekeepers") to create structured approach to client qualification; monitor to ensure proper functioning
- Partner with Liquidity Account Manager team to develop and enhance SAM client servicing and account maintenance responsibilities
- Proactively identify opportunities for innovation and process improvements across units
- Develop and lead a high-performing SAM team; institute personnel and performance-based management routines across SAM team
- Lead all external and internal SAM communications
- Create 3-year and 5-year strategy for the SVB Asset Management (SAM) business and drive implementation and adoption with the Chief Product Officer and Banking Leadership Team
- Review and consider various strategic options including, but not limited to: o Setting up direct to fund / transfer agent arrangement
- Establishing formal connection with Private Bank as well as SVB Financial
- White label and / or other arrangements
- SAM-specific client prospecting
- Creation of money fund complex
- Becoming a custodian
- Identify new markets, expand client base, and offer new products to drive growth agenda
- Build a scalable business and organizational structure
The successful candidate will be a strategic and results-oriented executive with a proven track record of establishing strategic priorities to grow a fixed income asset management business. This leader will bring a highly collaborative interpersonal style with a focus and emphasis on solving business problems via communication and collaboration with colleagues across SVB's business units and functions. In addition, this leader will have experience managing teams and various stakeholders across a complex organization and will be well suited to operate in a fast-paced environment and will foster a culture of intellectual curiosity, integrity and innovation.
- 10 years of experience setting strategy to deliver strong business results in asset management
- Strategy experience gained in consulting or in business or product strategy roles for an asset manager
- Knowledge of fixed income and/or money markets
- Strong understanding of SVB’s clients and products preferable
- Proven track record of managing teams in excess of 10
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or CFA preferred
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
- Explains specifically how changes in competitors, clients, and the broader market affect SVB Asset Management and SVB Financial Group.
- Translates broad business strategy into clear, specific objectives and plans for SAM team members.
- Envisions and strategizes for the long term, keeping in mind 1-year, 3-year and 5-year goals.
- Acts to surpass goals, seizing opportunities to push the envelope and challenge the status quo.
- Sets continually higher goals that are ambitious but realistic for self and team, geared to organizational objectives.
- Focuses on new business opportunities that enable business development targets to be exceeded in terms of revenues and returns, not just AUM.
Collaborating and Influencing
- Invites and uses the opinions and perspectives of others.
- Engages people in a dialogue to gain commitment and bring them "on board", linking their perspective to the intent.
- Adapts own approach to each stakeholder group, anticipating impact of words and actions.
- Resolves conflicts by discussing individual issues with each person.
- Checks with both sides of a discussion to ensure a common understanding.
- Takes initiative to maintain relationships and broader network.