Who We Are:
Founded in 2013, Thistle is an early stage food-tech startup empowering our customers to get and stay healthy. We deliver delicious, organic, healthy, plant-forward meals, cold-pressed juices and snacks to customers in California who want to put their nutrition on auto-pilot.
We don’t want to be just another food delivery startup. Our focus is on the health and happiness of our customers, and we are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is purchased, manufactured, and delivered at scale. Thistle is headquartered in San Francisco and we are backed by some amazing investors in the Bay Area and beyond.
About the Role:
Thistle is looking for a freelance Food Photographer / Stylist to work with our creative & marketing teams to help shoot our healthy, sustainable, plant-forward meals, juices, snacks, and other products. You’ll work closely with our in house photographer and our Brand Designer to find new ways to capture our products beautifully with brand aligned images that ignite the senses. The content you produce will be featured on the website, social media and emails. We’re looking for a self-starter with a love for food and making it look delicious, warm, fun, fresh and craveable, with a proven ability to execute shoots from start to finish. This will be a fun, creative position that will take our brand to the next level.
This is a contract position with a consistent project-by-project work schedule of around 8-12 hrs/week of shooting and editing, potentially more. Must be available to shoot on-site in our SF HQ and our R&D kitchen in Oakland.
What You'll Do:
- Photograph new meals and other products weekly(1 shoot per week on average), plus as needed for monthly and seasonal campaigns: email, digital ads, social media, blog, retail
- Retouch and color correct images and resize images for web content
- Set up and style images, props, and lighting and help maintain a clean in-house photo studio and prop library
- Assist in shot listing and food shopping / prep as required
- Style our food to create the most delicious looking food photo assets possible; in addition to being beautifully fresh, food should look inviting, warm, and appealing to all
- Create gifs for digital marketing; video experience a plus
- Manage and maintain image assets: organize, tag, and store image files
What You'll Bring:
- A strong sensibility for lighting, composition, space, food styling, and visual storytelling
- Ability to implement creative ideas for styling and shooting food
- Ability to retouch photo assets and edit into various formats for web, ads, social etc.
- Basic understanding of studio lighting
- Ability to juggle several projects with minimal supervision
- Experience with Mac computer, Adobe Creative Suite(a plus, but not a requirement)
- Passion for food and working with other food lovers, with a demonstrated ability to make your work reflect the love that goes into our products and the energy of the people that make them
- Experience creating stop-motion video and GIFs a major plus
Who You Are:
- A creator and entrepreneurial spirit(you don’t need your hand held when it comes to taking care of your work) unafraid to take initiative or get your hands dirty with every stage of production, from ideation to setup to food prep to shooting and editing
- Direct and collaborative communicator with a positive attitude who enjoys working on a team and getting input(including creative feedback) from all directions to build innovative, beautiful assets
- Results oriented with a high-quality bar and incredible attention to detail(you’ll never miss a misaligned label or bruised avocado)
- Passionate about food and committed to developing a socially responsible brand and business.
Life At Thistle:
- Join a diverse, passionate & driven team of all backgrounds
- Delicious & nutritious meals, snacks & juice to help keep you feeling healthy and energized
- Casual work environment
- Fun team outings(fitness classes, BBQs, happy hours, and more)
Diversity and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.