To date, Everlane has built a strong brand, driven primarily by its online presence. We approach retail with the same sense of purpose and attention to detail that our apparel team applies to every product we develop. This year, we are accelerating our growth and bringing more physical stores to our customers – adding to the two successful locations we have in New York and San Francisco.
We are looking for a world-class Director of Construction to help build process, manage our external construction teams and fully deliver our new stores. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who enjoys working in an entrepreneurial environment with a proven track record of delivering multiple projects on time and on budget. This role is based in San Francisco and will report to the Vice President of Store Development.
Join our mission and be a part of a team that's reimagining retail and innovating on ways we can bring an already established brand to the physical world.
- Independently manage the budgeting, bidding, construction and close-out processes for multiple, concurrent projects throughout North America.
- Develop, manage and report construction schedules for all new store and renovation projects. Partner with the Development team to regularly update the Master Project Schedule. Set clear expectations for key stakeholders and track delivery against project plan.
- Develop and refine a robust store-level budgeting methodology while actively working to improve economy, reduce overall costs and streamline the delivery process. Supervise the internal and external construction and estimating teams as required to prepare job budgets and financial reports as required for each project.
- Partner with Accounting and Finance to teams to lead regular updating, management and reporting all construction budgets and vendor payments. Interpret and analyze cost details by project while regularly performing root cause evaluation on all variances, both positive and negative.
- Prepare bid packages, negotiate scope, level & validate bids, award & administer contracts and hold contractors & vendors accountable.
- Hire, partner with, and lead our GC teams through a successful construction process ensuring that brand standards, schedule and budget are upheld.
- Provide clear, regular communication of project status to cross-functional internal teams through the entire construction process, with a specific focus on potential project issues supported by options for resolution.
- Regularly review construction documents, shop drawings, etc.; becoming intimately familiar with a focus on consistently improving our store delivery process.
- Lead partnership with internal teams to ensure that stores are delivered consistent with brand and experience standards, regularly providing buildability feedback to support thoughtful updates.
- Lead weekly internal and external coordination meetings with the development and construction teams and own progress communication with external partners.
- Track and manage final approval, inspections and permits required to open each project.
- Administrate an expedient and effective project close-out process and partner with the Development Team to oversee acquisition of any tenant allowance where applicable.
- Develop, manage and disseminate timely and actionable post-mortems for each construction project including comparisons and reconciliations to construction budget.
- Develop a national network of service providers and oversee the negotiation of relevant consultant, contractor, product supplier and vendor contract negotiation.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in Construction Management, Architecture, Real Estate Development or a related field.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience managing Construction, Development and/or related scope in a dynamic fast growing business.
- Disciplined professional project management skills with an ability to execute multiple projects with tight deadlines, strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills and a solid understanding of retail development projects.
- A knack for managing through and resolving conflict, negotiating and delegating, while at the same time comfortable with working at the highest level of management.
- A proficient ability to comfortably communicate, both verbally in presentation and conversation, and written in correspondence to project team, vendors, consultants and partners.
- An ability to give direction, adapt to change, establish relationships, and work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Experience working with international project development and foreign currencies, a plus.
- A working knowledge of applicable software including but not limited to: Microsoft Excel, Google Suite, Microsoft Project, Smartsheets, Timberline, Procore.
At Everlane, we’re rethinking the way retail works. We have no middlemen taking their cut and no brand markups. Instead, we design our own luxury basics and sell them exclusively at a fraction of the traditional retail price. Since launching in November 2011, Everlane has attracted over 1,300,000 members and has been featured in The New York Times, New York Magazine, The Economist, Elle, and GQ.
Please note before submitting an application: as a company, we take hiring very seriously. Interviewing with Everlane may include video and phone interviews, written projects, and/or on-site interviews. Although we are unable to follow-up with each and every applicant, we do our best to run a thorough process for candidates with whom we identify a potential fit.
Everlane provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.