1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
The Design Team Manager plays two distinctive roles at Scribd:
1. Leading the group of designers that make up the design team
2. Managing and developing cohesive and consistent design across our products
As the manager of the team, they will be an excellent coach and guide, helping to develop designers in their craft. The DTM will regularly meet with team, set clear goals and expectations, and aid in career pathing of the team so they can grow and develop at Scribd. The DTM will balance and transition work across the team, represent the design team and their perspectives, assist in the prioritization of work and deeply partner with product, development, and business groups across the company for both planning and execution.
As the senior most champion of design at Scribd, the DTM will also be responsible for the overall look and feel of our products in partnership with our Brand team. They will advocate for elevating our design and exploring new creative opportunities at Scribd. Many individuals make up design at Scribd and the DTM will partner with each of those designers and leads to set the best design standards and expectations.
• Define a Scribd design vision that spans across platform and content segments.
• Build an inspiring and talented design team through distinguished recruiting and retention.
• Establish priorities for the team based on business metrics & impact.
• Oversee design projects, personally ensuring that designs are executed to the highest level of quality & speed.
• Define key design and UX principles within the team and be a strong voice for design quality and consistency.
• Ensure timely design deliverables to product management and engineering.
• Evolve and own our design processes, tools, and infrastructure.
• Be the driving force behind aesthetic excellence.
The ideal candidate:
• Outstanding leadership skills and the ability to inspire a team to create its best work.
• Exceptional professional maturity + a solid understanding of how to make things happen within an organization.
• 10+ years experience designing beautiful interactive mobile and web application experiences for consumers.
• 5-7+ years experience leading design teams.
• Extremely strong design intuition and a natural ability to empathize with different personas.
• Comfort and experience working with modern prototyping tools to simulate interactions and motion graphics.
• BA or BFA in Advertising/Creative/Design/Film (Although your portfolio matters more than how you got there.)
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of Caltrain and BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.