Nextdoor is the neighborhood hub for you, your neighbors and the broader local community. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
At Nextdoor, the Finance organization is made up of highly motivated, high performing individuals who are continually looking to find efficiencies through process improvement and automation. We work hard but also know how to have fun and work cohesively as a team. We enjoy partnering cross functionally and strive to be exceptional business partners.
About our Role
Reporting to the Accounts Receivable Manager, the Collections Analyst will be responsible for owning our accounts receivable aging, collecting from past due accounts and partnering with Sales and Account Management to improve our DSO. You will recommend best practices and process improvements as well as participate in system integrations. The successful candidate is a seasoned credit and collections subject matter expert, as well as a hands-on, driven individual willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. The role requires that you be knowledgeable in digital advertising/ad agency billing & collection processes and nuances. This position offers the opportunity to support a business that is growing in scale and complexity. You will have an opportunity to work cross-functionally with an experienced and dynamic team who is looking to support your career development.
You should be excited to show up every day with a team player mentality and help in whatever capacity is needed, however your core job responsibilities will include the following:
- Own the collections process, and partner with customers and account managers to ensure payments are received in a timely manner, with an emphasis on resolving past due accounts and billing disputes timely and efficiently
- Develop and maintain a weekly collections plan targeting high-dollar and significantly delinquent (> 60 day) account balances
- Daily collection/resolution calls and email correspondence to ensure timely collection of open balances.
- Review and investigate the detailed level of customer accounts, including invoices/credits/payments via account reconciliation
- Resolve client discrepancies and short payments
- Document all collections outreach and payment status related to customer interaction
- Engage and build relationships with external customers, particularly ad agencies
- Generate and prepare AR reports, aging, and analyses as required
- Handle all incoming credit term requests and make recommendations to the A/R Manager, serving as the main liaison.
- Identify potential default risks and outline the proper course of action. This includes monitoring high risk credits, establishing payment negotiations, and managing the end-to-end collections process alongside the A/R Manager.
- Escalate at risk customers to management and work with Sales org to help resolve
- Assist in implementing a credit monitoring process, which will include integrating third party data sources/APIs/tools and provide recommendations on best practices
- Manage and resolve client chargeback disputes in Stripe
- Identify key issues that impact the collections process and work in collaboration with sales and account management to resolve upstream
- Assist the Accounts Receivable team in improving and documenting our internal collections processes and policies
- Engage in special projects and serve as collections subject matter expert to drive system or process enhancements
What You’ll Bring to The House
You are hardworking, detailed oriented and demonstrate both a strong sense of ownership and demonstrate good judgment. You are a self starter, confident and take initiative. You are flexible and thrive in dynamic environments. You have an innate curiosity about our business and cross-functional processes and systems. You possess a strong collaborative approach and are able to build effective relationships with colleagues across all areas of the organization. You have strong organizational and communication skills and are able to prioritize and communicate activities and findings both in written and verbal form to individuals, and management. And most importantly, you have a customer service mindset and enjoy interacting with internal and external business partners.
- Minimum 6 years hands-on experience in credit and collections
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- Experience working in internet/digital advertising industry required
- Experience working with Business Credit Bureaus (e.g. Dun & Bradstreet) and an understanding of how they assess creditworthiness
- Excellent knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures related to collections, credit bankruptcy regulations and credit information
- Strong knowledge of Excel and Google docs
- Working knowledge of ERP and Customer management systems, Workday and SFDC a plus
- Demonstrated ability to manage and resolve collections disputes in a professional manner
- Detail and goal oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and customer service skills required
- Proven ability to work across many departments and time zones (some international) with varying levels of staff and management to solve problems and achieve results.
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with sensible business and relationship judgement
- Assertive self-starter and quick learner with the ability to work independently and as a team member when needed to drive team goals
- Efficient, self-motivated with the ability to follow through
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- A strong passion for Nextdoor’s mission