Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Through applying techniques to gain significant engineering leverage in the short-term without compromising long-term velocity, the engineering team at Root was able to deliver successfully, creating one of the fastest venture-backed companies to ever reach a billion dollar valuation.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $1B and brought our total VC funding to $178M. In the last year and a half, we have grown our team from 60 to 650.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission.
Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
Position: We’re searching for a Senior Recruiter to join us in building the most transformative Engineering Team ever. We’ve been able to hire the best team for Root by being intimately aware of who we are and who we aren’t. With this in mind, we expect a Senior Recruiter to study the business, work with leaders in Engineering and Recruiting to understand current/future recruiting needs, and then be a thought partner in ideating/executing solutions.
This position will be based in San Francisco, CA and report to a Senior Candidate Experience Manager in Columbus, OH.
What you'll be doing:
- Facilitating and managing the logistics of our hiring process (scheduling, travel, expenses)
- Living between the business and the candidate. It’s your responsibility to use your context on the needs of the business and the perspective of the candidate to create a best in class candidate experience in every touchpoint.
- Educating the west coast engineering market on what we’re building and how we work by attending/hosting events and building relationships with candidates.
- Reaching out to qualified candidates utilizing tools like Github, Stack Overflow, and Linkedin
- Exploring new channels and strategic partnerships for recruiting, and using data to validate or eliminate each hypothesized approach
- Critically evaluating our hiring processes and solutions to ensure that we’re approaching each specific problem with the best possible solution.
What you're best at:
- Communicating - We believe the best communication is honest, empathetic, and clear.
- Thinking creatively - We’re engaging in a new market, and you’ll have a good deal of ownership as to our approach. Often, the best approach isn’t the first one suggested. The ability to think outside the box will be an asset in this role.
- Analyzing - We use data to drive decisions and we’re hoping you do too.
- Iterating - The solutions we’ve used in the past aren’t always what should be used today. We change our approach with the dynamic needs of the business.
- Ownership - You’ll be working relatively autonomously to educate the west coast markets. We’re hoping you thrive when given the opportunity and freedom to solve problems.