Location: Santa Clara or San Francisco
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
The Trust and Safety team is charged with making Upwork the most trusted marketplace to get work done. We are looking for a high performing professional to manage our Payments Risk P&L, and Marketplace and Account Abuse teams. This leader will be responsible for managing operations loss caused by fraud, account takeovers, and non-payment. This role will also manage our Marketplace and Abuse Team to prevent spam/scam, phishing/malware, and account security attacks on our customers. Cross-functional partners include other Trust and Safety teams, Analytics, Operations, Product, Engineering, Data Science, Marketing, and Customer Support.
- Strategy Development: Evaluate, identify, and execute on policies and processes that improve our ability to manage payments risk
- Risk Management: Identify and stop fraudulent payments, handle credit and underwriting risk
- Spam and Account Abuse prevention: Identify and stop all forms of marketplace and account abuse
- Operational Excellence: Identify root causes, and create accurate and efficient processes to catch fraud while minimizing false positives
- Cross-Functional Team Empowerment: Inspire, motivate, and lead a cross-functional team to prevent fraud on the site
- Leading and growing a high performance operations team to scale programs that improve good experiences and decrease bad experiences
What it takes to catch our eye:
- At least 10 years of work experience in analytics, data science, risk, credit, trust, fraud, and/or policy roles
- At least five years of people management experience growing the careers of your team members
- Clearly and effectively communicating using your attention to detail and extraordinary analytical skills
- Passion for Upwork and a strong motivation to solve challenging risk problems to protect our customers and our company’s revenue
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time
How to really knock our socks off:
- You lead as well as you support teams
- You are open to creative & out of the box approaches to problem solving
- You have a strong willingness and self-discipline to contribute to and with a small team
- You have experience in handling large scale structured/unstructured data
- You are familiar with operational excellence processes (ex. Six Sigma, etc.)
- You are curious and have a passion to find and solve the root cause of problems
- Ability to lead priorities across multiple, simultaneous projects
- Strong empathy for consumers who depend on our product
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel (or equivalent) skills
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.