Location: San Diego, Santa Clara, Seattle Area
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. With a service-orientation toward the activities, tasks and processes that make up day-to-day work life, we help the modern enterprise operate faster and become more scalable than ever before.
We transform old, manual ways of working into modern digital workflows, so employees and customers get what they need, when they need it – fast, simple, easy. Just as we help simplify & improve experiences for our customers, we strive to offer the same experiences for our team members.
This role is part of the Experience Organization, made up of passionate individuals that drive Insights (Market, Product, Customer, and UX research), product documentation and experience design activities across the ServiceNow platform and product solutions.
We are looking for an experienced researcher to partner with key stakeholders (e.g., Product Management, Design) and own user experience and product research activities in a portfolio of customer solutions. This individual will independently develop focused research plans including objectives, hypotheses and relevant methods across the product lifecycle, analyze derived data to understand customer context and needs, and translate findings into artifacts (i.e., personas, journeys, task analyses) and actionable insights that have direct product and business value.
While not mandatory, we do strive to find people with enterprise B2B product experience in one or more of our product categories including IT Security Management, IT Operations Management, Security Operations, HR Service Delivery, Customer Service Management, or Finance & Legal. Join our team and inspire digital transformations by creating new and compelling experiences for Global 500 companies around the world – enabling people around the world to get more done, faster than ever before!
What you get to do in this role:
- Represent the needs of ServiceNow customers or partners and their end users associated with ServiceNow's products, competing products, or future concepts.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders including designers, other researchers, and product managers to identify objectives, goals, timelines and research execution plan.
- Work directly with external vendors to procure research sample, research reports, and partner on research projects as needed.
- Execute various types of primary research and analysis, from early discovery, usage and needs, through product design validation.
- Apply appropriate research techniques and methods for the specific project. Methods such as individual customer interviews, focus groups, diary studies, journey mapping, user flows, information architecture definition, wireframing and others to aid in the formulation of insights that improve product functionality and user experience.
- Develop strategic research plans including discussion guides, contingency plans and other instruments from rough outline to the final version.
- Partner closely with Product Management to influence product strategy and roadmaps with validated user research findings.
- Collaborate on feature definition and user story creation as needed.
- Work collaboratively inside a cross-functional team, effectively integrating your research into the product definition and design phases.
- Influence architectural design tasks such as user flows, information architecture definition, wireframing, etc. with the aim of communicating design opportunities to the broader Design and Product teams.
- Text analysis and coding of open-end responses which might include product feature requests, problem reports, discussion forums, and community discussions.
- Analyze and synthesize data in order to generate strategic and tactical insights with actionable recommendations that drive product improvements, innovations, and customer experience improvements.
- Prepare reports of findings, create PowerPoint and Excel reports, explaining methods used and insights learned, and presenting research results to key stakeholders and leadership (C-Level, director level).
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
- 7+ years of direct experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in user experience, product, customer, or academic research. Preferably for product development purposes.
- Proven history of independently defining, planning and executing research strategies including defining objectives, goals, timelines and ability to select the appropriate methodology for the project. This includes developing sample plans and designing data collection instruments.
- Advanced knowledge of several data collection methods (either qualitative or quantitative) and fundamental knowledge of mixed methods.
- Can quickly understand customer needs, taking the initiative to interact with customers, managing expectations, responding to their requests, and communicating feedback in a simple, clear, and concise manner.
- Demonstrates confidence in the data collection process which is evidenced by the ability to naturally engage users and in the aptitude to respond with insightful follow-up questions which increases richness of research data.
- Knowledge of user interface design principles, usability evaluation techniques, perception, cognition, task analysis, experimental design and fundamental knowledge of statistics to best inform useful and usable recommendations.
- Exceptional written and oral communication abilities. Can prepare reports of findings, illustrating research data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. Experience working with and presenting research results to executive leadership (C-Level, director level).
- Willing to be proactive and take initiative to learn about ServiceNow products and customers.
- Ability to work independently on complex projects requiring frequent problem solving and critical thinking.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience working with Enterprise IT software (e.g., ServiceNow, Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce, PeopleSoft), ideally a background in Application Platform as a Service (PaaS) or Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
- Expertise in one or more of the following product spaces: IT Security Management, IT Operations Management, Security Operations, HR Service Delivery, Customer Service Management (CSM), or Finance & Legal.
- Awareness of Mobile and web application design experience across various platforms (iOS, Android, Windows) including demonstrating an understanding of responsive web design.
- Advanced degree in the Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, or other related degrees.
What we would love to see from you before or during an interview:
- An inspiring portfolio representing the process you follow to build Insanely Great Experiences
- Demonstration of any accessible projects you have built
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional atmosphere. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business.
Up to 20% annually