San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
Join San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) as one of our newest Bus Operators! No experience? Quite alright! We will pay YOU to become a trained Class B Licensed Bus Operator. Bus Operators are represented by Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU), Local 1309. This is a full-time position starting at $16.81/hour (up to $26.50/hour) with competitive benefits including, but not limited to, health, dental, and vision for you and your family, vacation and sick time, retirement plans, and wellness programs.
Here are some additional perks & benefits!
- $300 bonus upon successful completion of 6 months probation
- Employer paid holidays (up to 12 per year)
- Employer paid DMV licensing
- FREE transit pass for you and your family
- Employer paid bereavement leave and jury duty
- Employer paid uniforms
- & much, much more!
Let's get started!
- To apply, click on the red "Apply" button on the top right hand corner (on www.sdmts.com)
- Interview at one of our next Hiring Events
- Dates & Times -
- TBA - Candidates will receive dates & times via email once they have applied
- Location - MTS Building, 1255 Imperial Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Arrives at the main bus lot or designated location (on route) ready and able to drive assigned bus over specified route to transport passengers according to pre-set time schedule.
- Receives all paperwork from dispatcher including route and schedule information
- Performs bus inspection: Exterior, looks for oil and other leaks under the bus, checks for body damage, determines if the bus is leaning, checks tires and wheels, splash guards, all windows, front door glass, mirrors, headlights, windshield glass; wipers, clearance lights, reflectors, turn signals, brake lights, license plate clean/readable, bike rack is secure. Checks back engine compartment. It takes between 20 to 40lbs of pressure to lift the back engine compartment door (swings up); however, closes (down) easily
- Assists dependent passengers (wheelchair bound) by operating the wheelchair lift (by lever) and may move the passengers to the location in bus provided for wheelchair bound passengers. May assist in buckling restraints onto wheelchair
- Ensures bikes are properly stowed/ secured on the bus racks
- Uses public address system to call out American with Disabilities Stops, and informs passengers of other schedule information, and/ or rules
- Returns bus to bus yard and turns over all pertinent information to the next driver (if route is still ongoing). Performs pre-departure inspection; picks up paper debris from floor/seats and takes any left items to appropriate location in facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned
What we're looking for in a candidate:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of or ability to learn MTS policies and regulations; ability to read, understand and apply MTS policies, regulations and union labor contracts; ability to write letters, memoranda and reports using clear, concise and grammatically correct English; ability to speak clearly, distinctly and effectively in person-to-person or small group situations using tact and diplomacy; ability to coordinate and initiate actions necessary to implement decisions and delegate responsibilities to appropriate personnel; ability to establish and maintain priorities in order to complete assignments by deadlines without detailed instructions; strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task and follow a set time schedule; ability to exercise prudent and timely judgment in normal and emergency situations; ability to sit for long periods of time in a confined area; excellent customer service skills; ability to get along with others; demonstrated solid work ethic and punctuality; knowledge of and ability to properly adhere to safety procedures; must have a flexible schedule and be available to work on days, nights, weekends and holidays
- The successful candidate must be 21 years of age or older and able to fulfill the physical demands of the job such as walking, stooping, sitting, bending, reaching for overhead files and occasional lifting (must be able to lift up to 50 pounds)
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and perform tasks involving manual dexterity, such as use of a computer and 10-key
- Work will at times require more than 8 hours per day or an irregular work week to perform the essential duties of the position
- Must have good eyesight and the ability to maintain constant alertness under tedious circumstances
- Duties will be performed primarily in a bus driver's seat at the front of a bus, as well as in an office environment
- A valid California driver's license is required at time of application
- The successful candidate must possess or have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class B license
- A copy of the H-6 DMV record (ten year report) must accompany application. No applicant will be considered for a Bus Driver position whose traffic record reflects irresponsibility or disregard of traffic rules and laws
- Candidates should demonstrate stable employment, punctuality, good attendance records and a favorable attitude toward public service
- Candidates must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Must satisfactorily pass all applicable examinations including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
Starting wage is $16.81/hour. Upon successful completion of the required training program, the hourly rate for a Bus Operator is increased annually. The top rate for a Bus Operator is currently $26.50 per hour. All hourly rates are subject to negotiation with the ATU, Local 1309 and are therefore subject to change.
DISCLAIMER: The above described job elements are intended to indicate the general nature and levels of work being performed by employees assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and skills required of employees so classified. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled