At Scripps Health, you will experience the pride, support, and respect of an organization that has been repeatedly recognized as one of the nation’s Top 100 Places to Work.
You’ll be surrounded by people committed to making a difference in the lives of their patients and their teammates. So if you’re open to change, go ahead and unlock your potential.
Join the team at Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego as a Patient Service Representative supporting our Patient Financial Services department. You will experience the pride and support of being a member of an outstanding team where we share a culture of providing excellent care to our patients and each other. This position is responsible for assisting inpatients. Previous insurance verification and cash handling experience is crucial.
Primary duties will include:
- Meeting with patients at bedside to obtain demographics, insurance, and have forms signed (Trauma Units, SICU, MICU etc.)
- Verifying patient’s health insurance
- Notifying patient’s health insurance of hospital admission/Following up on the authorizations for approval
- Working with Case Management and Social Workers on obtaining & verifying patient’s information
Other duties may include:
- Interacting with patients, payers and providers to gather information necessary for accurate registration including assigning of Medical Record Number, scheduling, referral/authorizations, payment collection, document collection and arrival/check-in functions.
- Responding to customer billing and payment inquires.
- Escalating billing inquiries as needed.
- Scheduling patient appointments. Successful scheduling includes exhibiting proficiency in appointment scheduling procedures, accurate documentation and routing of messages, scheduling and confirming appointments according to guidelines, entering insurance, performing Key User duties.
- Initiating and validating referrals/authorizations.
- Having a proactive approach to customer service by listening to the patient, taking ownership of solutions and is able to accurately identify the need to involve leadership in order to resolve concerns.
This is a benefit-eligible Part Time (20 hours per week), Day Shift position with four hour shifts from 12:30PM - 4:30PM (includes rotating weekends), located at Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego. Flexible availability is a must as rotating weekends and holidays are included.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of computer applications, excellent mathematical skills and ability to handle monies.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; innovative with ability to identify and solve problems.
- 1 year of experience in a customer service or healthcare/medical office environment preferred.
- Able to adapt, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, commercial and government health insurance and billing guidelines, ACA requirements, understanding of DRG's, Medical ICD9/ICD10 codes and CPT/HCPC Codes and Modifiers.