Manufacturing Engineer (San Diego, CA, United States, 92121)
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do at Meggitt, a worldwide leader in aerospace, defense and selected energy markets. We believe in our vision of ‘Enabling the Extraordinary: To Fly, To Power, To Live”. These core values – teamwork, integrity and excellence – are what have allowed us to become the company we are today. With facilities and over 9,000 employees worldwide, Meggitt draws on over 160 years of expertise to enhance the lives of people across the globe.
Through our Energy & Equipment division, Meggitt holds strong niche positions in energy, non-aerospace military and industrial equipment.
Expertise in this division ranges from heat exchangers used in off-shore gas processing to the design and manufacture of dynamic instrumentation for vibration, shock and pressure measurements. Our heat exchanger technology has not only enabled our customers to save weight, space, and money, but offer higher duties, smaller sizes, and greater integrity over conventional heat exchangers. We are a leading supplier of small-frame gas turbine actuation systems and fuel metering valves for the oil and gas and power generation sectors.
Our Defense Systems product group includes a wealth of expertise with products ranging from airborne decoy deployment systems to projectile tracking technology is another of our specialties. We produce tiny radar systems that are installed on drone aircraft to track incoming missiles or bullets, reassuring aircrew and missile manufacturers that their weapons are working as advertised.
The Manufacturing Engineer uses expertise on a variety of complex manufacturing issues to increase the capabilities to produce products. Designs, improves and installs integrated systems in the introduction of new products to the manufacturing and supply chain environment. Directly impacts all aspects of safety, quality, delivery, cost, and innovation, as well as the sustaining and growth efforts of operations.
Job Core Responsibilities
- Provides objective, functional and financial engineering guidance on capital expenditures and follow up on the implementation process
- Coordinates all phases of cost reduction; forecasts labor and equipment requirements to assure adequate equipment, machine capacity and labor
- Establishes and maintains labor standards to monitor direct/indirect labor and machine performance
- Develops, improves and monitors standards, procedures, processes and performance to reduce costs and to improve production operations
- Provides knowledge and expertise acting as a professional resource for colleagues
- Reduces costs and improves manufacturing profits using significant expertise on complex issues, best practices, industry trends and professional knowledge
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance is required. May need to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and additional hours as necessary
- Supports/leads production rollout of new & existing products into production in a timely manner.
- Creates/maintains accurate manufacturing information and documentation (Routers, BOMs, tools, etc.)
- Designs, builds, or procures improved fixtures, tooling, and equipment
- Utilization of learned MPS principles to promote and implement continuous improvements focused on the elimination of waste in all areas; Kaizen leadership & Continuous improvement
- Collects root cause data to develop, own, and execute “living” action plans to address top Pareto items adversely affecting performance in the areas of Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, and Growth
- The ability to interface with design engineering, quality & supply chain in order to provide low-cost, high-quality product to enable market segment growth
- Participates/leads in the design and transfer-to-production process.
- Advises the design team of profitability and manufacturability issues while identifying the processes to be utilized in producing new product
- Ensures proper design for quality and manufacturability; creates, reviews & approves DRs & ECOs for area of responsibility
- Manages the Operations Engineering DLA board & activities
Education: Bachelor degree in Engineering or related field
Years' Experience: 3-5 years of engineering experience preferably in an industrial automation or aerospace environment
- Experience in manufacturing processes for mechanical & electrical components processes (conformal coating, flow solder, SMT, rigid epoxy encapsulation)
- Creation, review and maintenance of engineering drawings and work instructions
- Demonstrated ability to collect root cause data
- Ability to develop, own, and execute action plans to achieve desired results
- Experience with Change Control Management a plus
- Proficient in MS Office, including Excel, and 3D Modeling; SAP and SolidWorks preferred
- Engineering drafting program experience a plus
- Supervisory experience within a manufacturing environment a plus
- Knowledge of Commercial Aerospace specifications, IPC-610 and ISO requirements preferred
- High sense of urgency; effective time management and personal organization
- Support process audits & corrective actions
- Demonstrated expertise with complex manufacturing engineering solutions
- Thorough knowledge of manufacturing while analyzing, evaluating and determine solutions to a variety of problems
- Proficient with applying Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma or other continuous improvement
- Ability to improve products or services by applying professional and business knowledge
- Able to solve complex problems; makes decisions based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to drive tasks to completion
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and database management tools
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Mentor new / junior manufacturing engineers
Meggitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-855-474-7665 or HRISon@meggitt.com.
If this position is located in the United States, this job will require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As such, all applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.