2-1-1 San Diego's mission is to help people by connecting them efficiently to the service delivery system, and by providing vital trend information for community planning. To meet this mission, we seek talented team members who exhibit the values that we hold dear and who complement our company culture.
The Values We Live By
- Deliver WOW Through Service
- Embrace and Drive Change - Evolve
- Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
- Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
- Pursue Growth and Learning
- Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication
- Do More With Less
- Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
- Be Passionate and Determined
- Be Humble
What is a Housing Specialist?
Housing assistance is one of the most common needs of 2-1-1 callers. Housing Specialists are passionate about assisting vulnerable populations in accessing housing resources and maintaining housing stability. In order to be successful, this position will have the educational background and direct experience working within San Diego's housing/homeless system of care. Housing Specialists are responsible for handling in-bound call volume for callers presenting with diverse housing needs. This position will conduct comprehensive screenings and assessments, identify appropriate referrals, and provide advocacy and ongoing coordination/follow-up for clients. Housing Specialists utilize Motivational Interviewing techniques to establish relationships with service provider partners and keep abreast of available resources and community-wide initiatives such as the Coordinated Entry System (CES) for people who are homeless and the Housing First model of care. An awareness of housing-related topics including landlord engagement and mediation, home accessibility, affordable housing, rental assistance, and shelter and homeless services is essential. By assisting clients through education, advocacy, and empowerment, we are able to address risk factors and social determinants of health to help clients achieve and sustain a better quality of life.
What You Bring
- Bachelor's Degree in the field of Social Work or related field. Associate's Degree combined with relevant experience may be substituted.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- One year of Information & Referral experience or extensive knowledge of housing and homeless services in San Diego County required.
- Must possess excellent client relations/customer service skills.
- Previous call center or heavy telephone work a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work with vulnerable populations including people experiencing crisis, homelessness, domestic violence, HIV/AIDS, etc.
- Motivational interviewing and strengths based approach skills desired.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, hectic environment, with prompt attention to client's needs.
- Ability to interact sensitively and effectively with persons experiencing a problem situation or crisis to assess and help problem-solve the situation.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analysis skills.
- Strong capability in business software programs including MS Office, Outlook and online applications.