Head of Design and Research, Alexa Developer Experiences and Technologies
Alexa Developer Experiences and Technologies, is seeking a Head of Design and Research to lead and build our growing team/studio. As the leader of the UX Design organization you will have a significant impact on our customers and business. You will create and bring to life the vision of the future of ambient computing—a convenient, engaging, and intelligent Alexa, powered by developer creativity and tools, for millions of customers worldwide. You will drive innovation on behalf of our ever-growing community of developers (Alexa Skills Kit, Alexa Custom Assistant, low-code Vertical Solutions/API, no-code Creator Tools) across the globe to realize our vision to create the world’s leading self-service AI developer environment that empowers creators to craft experiences that make Alexa a natural and enriching part of everyday life. We aim to democratize the creation of voice experiences for a diverse set of customers from programmers to designers, from individuals to big companies, and empower them to create engaging experiences for millions of Alexa customers. You and your team will work with engineers, product managers, applied scientists, and executives in Alexa to make the creation of Alexa experiences effortless for our developers and enjoyable for our customers, defining a bold vision for the future and setting the standard for the industry at large.
As a thought leader you will work with design, business, and technical leaders across Amazon Alexa (AI, cloud services, devices, mobile, entertainment, developer marketing) to define and drive forward our most critical initiatives. You will drive high impact product design decisions by bringing a customer centric view of UX design, customer behavior (qualitative and quantitative), and best practices from our design system to the table, while incorporating developer needs and driving simplification of the developer experience. We are looking for a passionate, curious design leader with an impressive ability to collaborate across domains to move initiatives forward and a relentless determination to do what is right for Amazon's customers. The ideal candidate will be a systems-level design thinker and visionary, with excellent customer instincts and outstanding design intuition, who will provide vision and direction setting as well as setting up execution mechanisms through the managers in the UX Design team.
You will lead a multidisciplinary team of UX designers, voice designers, design technologists, and UX researchers who are equal parts thinkers and doers, analysts and artists, designers and customers who are shaping the future of human-machine interfaces. You have a history of building and developing high performing UX and Research teams. You are a proven design leader and collaborator who excels at bringing design thinking and influence to a large technical organization.
- Define and drive the UX vision for Alexa Developers worldwide
- Is a leader of leaders, scaling the design process across many programs at once, drives a high level of focus and excellence with a strong, talented, opinionated team; leads with passion and convictions and has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Partner with senior leaders across the organization to influence product vision and cross-Alexa features
- Manage a team of UX Designers and Researchers that design and iterate on UI architecture, interface, and interaction flow across developer tools and end-customer experiences
- Use business requirements, research and customer feedback to shape the product vision and roadmap
- Dive deep on consumer insights, product analytics, and competitive intelligence to drive product innovation and iteration
- Define the cutting edge of what’s new in voice technology and user experience, identifying opportunities and experimenting with applying new technologies and interaction patterns to customer problems
- Inspire, mentor and develop a team of cross discipline design leaders
- Write effectively to communicate business and design rationales and benefits to the Alexa developer and customer
- 15+ years of experience in User Experience Design
- 10+ years of people management – hiring, developing, and leading teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in in Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience providing direction to deliver on priorities and build repeatable, sustainable processes that support operational excellence.
- Can guide the team in best practices for User Interface Design, Information Architecture, and Interaction Design; practical knowledge of User Centered Design processes and lifecycles; ability to provide and effectively communicate strategic and tactical recommendations based on quantitative/qualitative data and established Design practices.
- Experience leading in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team alongside other senior leaders, designers, product managers and software developers.
- Knowledge of the latest design concepts, emerging technologies, and other developments in the user experience field.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to influence and deliver results.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Experience in leading a design system team
- Experience working in a global context, with a proven ability to design for the worldwide impact of products.
- Proficiency in technical (ideally developer related) topics and ability to influence the technical direction of the organization through design thinking.
- Experience introducing Design Thinking into an organization across product management, engineering, and applied science
- Passion for and experience in designing voice forward experiences with multimodality
- Understanding of ambient computing, and AI technologies
- Proven ability to drive the design review cycle and present to senior leadership stakeholders
- Fluency in best practices for desktop and mobile platforms, system information architecture and experience design
- Ability to act quickly and juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in addition to using wireframes, mocks, and prototypes to communicate a UX perspective
- Passion for the role of design within an organization as demonstrated by leading and participating in design initiatives across organizations and mentor design talent outside of the team
- Demonstrated ability to set the strategy for qualitative and quantitative user experience research
- Demonstrated ability to lead a prototyping team
- Demonstrated ability to lead design operations to drive UX and product roadmaps, project planning, and resource prioritization
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.