KIPP SoCal Public Schools (KIPP SoCal) is a nonprofit organization that operates tuition-free, open-enrollment, charter public schools focused on preparing students in systemically under-resourced communities in Southern California for choice filled lives. In July 2019, KIPP LA Public Schools and KIPP San Diego Public Schools united to become KIPP SoCal Public Schools to better meet the needs of our students. We currently operate 19 schools, educate nearly 8,300 students and support an additional 4,300 alumni who are attending high school and college.
The Director of Community and Donor Relations is a critical leadership position that will be based in San Diego. The goal of this position is to develop and grow relationships with community leaders, families, donors and champions in the San Diego area.
Reporting to the Chief External Impact Officer (CXO), the Director of Community and Donor Relations will provide leadership and guidance in Community Engagement, Advocacy, Development, and Communications efforts, in addition to being a key representative of the organization. The Director of Community and Donor Relations will be a mission-driven external relations leader with a strong background in strategic planning and data-driven decision-making.
The Director of Community and Donor Relations will be a proactive and tactical collaborator, in addition to having the ability to work independently and drive results. The Director of Community and Donor Relations will provide thoughtful direction and recommendations to the other members of the senior leadership team and key stakeholders. This individual will have experience and comfort in cultivating and sustaining relationships with key supporters and stakeholders in San Diego, including prominent community leaders, elected officials, the media, peer and partner charter organizations, and donors. In addition, the Director of Community and Donor Relations will have experience engaging, developing coalitions, and mobilizing families.
The ideal candidate will have at least eight years of progressive responsibility in similar or related roles, with at least 5 years managing a team to exemplary results, and the following competencies and personal characteristics:
- Hold high standards for project management to proactively and creatively problem-solve.
- With great empathy, is a consistent champion and proud member of the team. Encourages participation from members of the team and seeks feedback and ideas from team members at all levels in operating as a leader.
- In addition to operating within a team environment, demonstrates the ability to operate independently and drive results.
- In addition to being self-driven, must have the ability to work across different functional teams, and have the ability to manage up.
- Diligently seeks opportunities for professional development, acting as a sounding board, and serves as an organizational role model in cultivating a culture of high expectations and support.
- Thoughtfully considers the impact of decisions, and facilitates resolutions that protect the organization’s interests and prioritizes student needs when conflict or disagreements arise.
Advocacy and Community Engagement
- In partnership with the CXO and additional key stakeholders, provide input on efforts in San Diego.
- Expand voice in San Diego, influence and impact on key issues facing the communities we serve, and partner with the CXO to amplify efforts in San Diego.
- Lead and enthusiastically build relationships with San Diego's major stakeholders and constituencies, including community leaders, community groups, elected officials, the media, and other influencers.
- Proactively engage and mobilize current and potential families and communities in the San Diego area, as critical advocates and ambassadors.
- Create and oversee strategy, programs, and services aimed towards increased parent and community engagement; and strengthen the partnership among parents, community, and schools to improve student academic achievement and school success.
- Identify opportunities and develop ways to strategically maximize collaboration and coordination with external partners.
- Represent the community and the broader organization as an ambassador, advocate, and partner within public forums and events.
- In collaboration with the CXO and Development team, identify and build a new donor base in San Diego.
- In collaboration with the CXO and Development team, responsible for stewarding current donors and foundation relations, leading events and event planning in the San Diego area.
- In collaboration with the CXO and CEO, responsible for identifying, on-boarding, organizing, supporting, and staffing the San Diego Advisory Council members.
Marketing and Communications
- Provide thought leadership and guidance to the CXO in cultivating a meaningful and productive media and external engagement strategy; In collaboration with the CXO, assess and strategize responses to all incoming media requests, and communicate with relevant media as a spokesperson when appropriate.
- Provide guidance for tracking metrics and data to ensure alignment and effectiveness of overall marketing and communications efforts in San Diego, and offers insight and strategy regarding overall effectiveness.
Director of Community & Donor Relations Perks
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer, dependents added at 50% of cost
- Employer-paid KIPP SoCal life insurance
- 401(k) plan with up to 6% match by KIPP SoCal
- Voluntary Benefits (Pet Insurance, Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous time off program includes 22 holidays, sick leave and vacation
- Other great benefits (Flexible spending account, EAP, tuition reimbursement for dependents, etc.)
- The Director of Community and Donor Relations will be a proactive and tactical collaborator, in addition to having the ability to work independently and drive results.
- This individual will have experience and comfort in cultivating and sustaining relationships with key supporters and stakeholders in San Diego, including the media, elected officials, peer and partner charter organizations, donors, and prominent community leaders. In addition, the Director of Community and Donor Relations will have experience engaging, developing coalitions, and mobilizing families.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 8 years of progressive responsibility in similar or related roles
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
KIPP SoCal strives to ensure that our careers website is accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, please contact us. You can find our contact information on our website, http://www.kippsocal.org/. Information will be sent to a talent acquisition representative who will provide assistance to ensure appropriate consideration in the hiring process.