Cox Business Service Assurance Tech I
VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
Cox Communications is searching for a Cox Business Service Assurance Technician I. This role is responsible for configuring aggregate devices, routers, optical access, and/or DWDM equipment that carries video, data, and/or telephony traffic. In addition, he/she utilizes various applications for implementation, service, test and acceptance (e.g., Remedy, NetSmart, SAM, Preside, Granite, Procomm Plus, Secure CRT). The incumbent provides technical support and problem resolution for Cox Business Enterprise customers with regard to voice, video and data from a physical standpoint.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Under close supervision, installs, disconnects, upgrades and migrations at customer premise applicable to complex services for all CB products and services which generally involve custom design and not HFC.
- Initially activates electronics by powering up the equipment to ensure service.
- Loads configuration from work package on customer premise equipment.
- Performs customer CPE testing on-site.
- Coordinates with provisioning to verify/finalize customer acceptance of service, confirming service is working as expected to initiate billing.
- Coordinates equipment pick up with boundary partners.
- Creates, updates and closes Remedy tickets and coordinates with change control as needed.
- Ensures quality of processes, programs and customer satisfaction.
- Plans daily route, requisitions equipment and supplies and stocks vehicle.
- Drives company vehicle between office, warehouse and work site in a safe and courteous manner and in accordance with all laws and company policies.
- Maintains vehicle and other equipment per service requirement and safety guidelines.
- Identifies and sorts equipment needed for work orders.
- Configures CPE in warehouse prior to installation at customer premises.
- Ensures appropriate iOS upgrade is applied.
- Performs basic functional testing of equipment to eliminate out of box failures.
- Initiates initial provisioning and basic configuration on IP phones and other standard customer equipment for drop-ship.
- Labels equipment, terminal ID (TID), circuit tags, cabling required for the job, and customer name/address.
- Packages equipment per work order in preparation for installation.
- Works with customer on integration of complex circuits such as BGP, EPLAN, EVPLAN, etc.
- Assists with initial turn-up of CPE equipment.
- Tests and verifies services in conjunction with the install team.
- Works with NTOC, Fiber Construction, RF Headend technicians, Switch technicians and Test Desk technicians to identify and resolve network or Customer Premises Equipment problems affecting voice, video and data services.
- Uses provided tools remotely to troubleshoot, diagnose and document system failures (JDSU test equipment, OSA, OTDR, Light meter) and vendor specific technology management tools.
- Supports all service issues for data, video, telephony or transport services on customer premise equipment.
- Assists with other tasks as needed or as assigned to improve the delivery of service to customers.
- Resolves questions/concerns effectively and efficiently through the use of active listening and personalized techniques based on the customer’s needs.
- Takes care of Cox Business customers’ needs, questions, or technical problems while at the same time educating and promoting Cox services to improve customer retention.
- Works with vendors to ensure equipment is installed and operating properly.
- Ensures quality of processes, programs and customer satisfaction.
- Complies with all safety procedures and policies.
- Performs scheduled maintenance of electronics on customer premises including battery routines, fan filter replacement, jumper management, and housekeeping at remote cabinets.
- Checks voltages, verifies the rectifier is producing alarms, and performs general quality control checks.
- Updates maintenance logs, network documentation, records and other information to ensure compliance with Cox and industry standards.
- This position may be required to work shifts and/or provide 24/7 coverage to meet customer demands.
- Work shift may include weekends
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- High School Diploma, GED or related experience
- 1 or more year of experience preferred in related field (e.g., technical support, installation and maintenance)
- Working knowledge of IP, Ethernet, SONET, DWDM, DOCSIS, Video and telephone technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills to work effectively with team throughout the organization
- Valid local State Driver’s License and driving record that meets Cox standards
- Experience in telecommunications industry desired.
- Knowledge of IP protocols (e.g., DHCP, HTTP, TCP/UDP, FTP, TFTP, IP, DNS, etc.)
- Knowledge of IP services (e.g., MPLS, BGP, OSPF, QoS, etc.)
- Knowledge of OSI model and services (e.g., OSI layers, IEEE standards)
- Knowledge of structured cabling (e.g., Cat. 3, Cat. 5, etc.)
- Demonstrated understanding of protocol analyzers and data packet format
- Demonstrated strong computer skills to include MS Office software applications
- Knowledge of telecommunications, transmission systems, SONET, timing, digital cross-connect systems, DC power systems, and related Data telecommunications systems
- Demonstrated ability to use T1, T3, OC3/12/48/192/DWDM, Ethernet, CSU, NIU testing utilization standard test equipment
- Demonstrated strong troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated communications skills with the ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated positive customer service skills
- Demonstrated sound analytical skills with attention to detail
- Demonstrated sound decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in an ever-changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment
- AA/AS degree or Technical Certification in related discipline desired (e.g., Technical Operations)
- 1 year experience in provisioning and troubleshooting layer II & III networks
- Prior commercial installation and technical support experience
- Cisco certification
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.