Bus & Van Driver
This is a year-round open position for ongoing recruitment purposes.
About The Bishop’s School
Founded in 1909 and affiliated with the Episcopal Church, The Bishop’s School is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school for 800 students in grades six through twelve located on a historic campus in the heart of La Jolla, just 10 miles north of downtown San Diego. With a student-teacher ratio of approximately 9 to 1, Bishop’s is known for academic, artistic, and athletic excellence while celebrating character development, diversity, inclusion, and belonging. Last year’s applicant pool drew from 72 zip codes and 168 middle and high schools throughout San Diego County and beyond. Fifty-one percent of the student population self-identify as students of color. Additionally, over $4 million in need-based grants is awarded annually.
School Bus and/or Van Drivers are responsible for providing safe transport for school children based on a schedule and route. The Driver interacts daily with children and serves as their trusted transportation to and from school and school activities. Their duties include helping students board the bus and/or van, learning which students take their route and planning around traffic during trips. The role is also responsible for maintaining a clean and safe vehicle.
Essential Functions and Specific Duties:
- Ensuring proper vehicle maintenance.
- Maintain a clean and mechanically sound vehicle at all times.
- Perform inspections of the vehicle before and after each route.
- Complete daily maintenance reports are filled out accurately.
- Fuel vehicles with less than ½ tank of fuel.
- Immediately Notify the Director, Lead Driver or mechanic of any issues or concerns.
- Drive safely.
- Observe traffic rules.
- Be attentive to traffic and weather conditions.
- Ensure student safety.
- Assist students in the loading and unloading process.
- Maintain order among students while they are on the bus.
- Accurately check in students on daily manifest logs.
- Follow the planned route and schedule for departure times and stops.
- Attend safety meetings as required.
- Perform with a team approach, other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma.
- At least 2 years of experience driving students or passengers, preferred.
- Clean driving record with no at-fault accidents or traffic citations within the last three years.
- Experience working with children is preferred.
- Must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License – Class B - for Bus Driver duties.
- T-01 Certificate required for Bus Driver duties
- First Aid/CPR Certification required.
- Basic proficiency with Google Workspace and aptitude for learning new technology.
- Uphold the School’s Core Values.
- Demonstrate professionalism, tack and an unwavering positive attitude.
- Stay up to date on industry standards, trends, developments and legal updates.
- Make timely and ethical decisions both systematically and under pressure.
- Comply with School’s reporting policies and procedures.
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized work area.
Role Specific Competencies:
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Customer Service
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Flexibility and Initiative
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Safety Awareness
Please do not email or call the school directly.
The Bishop's School is an equal opportunity employer. We are a diverse community of professionals that broadly reflects the people of the San Diego area and the United States at large. We aim to align our hiring process with our mission and institutional goals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion or religious practices, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, ability status, military status, unemployment status or any other category protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. The Bishop's School takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance all qualified candidates.