FULL WORKING TITLE: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FOR EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 11/12/2019 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 11/21/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.
The mission of the Halicioglu Data Science Institute (HDSI) is to advance the scientific foundations for this exciting new field, and to support education and training of students who will be the new leaders in this area. Digital data have emerged as central to addressing critical societal needs and enhancing the quality of life in the coming decades. Data science touches virtually all aspects of life on our planet. At the campus level, UC San Diego already has tremendous strength in this area, ranging across all segments of the university.
For this reason, the Institute has been established as an independent unit that works collaboratively with schools, divisions, departments, centers, and faculty and students across the entire campus. The Institute is led by a Director who reports to an Oversight Committee chaired by the Chancellor. The Institute is the administrative home for the newly established undergraduate B.S. major and minor in Data Science, and will work with departments and the Academic Senate to create additional graduate programs in data science. The institute supports collaborations between researchers across campus and provides critical resources to support innovation in data science.
The Assistant Director will play a key role in developing and implementing the Halicioglu Data Science Institute's unique education, training and development programs and operations, and will play a strategic role in supporting the Director in growing the program portfolio. The position will establish relationships and partnerships to support both existing initiatives and new areas of academic interest. Develops and organizes conferences and other public forums. Works under the guidance of HDSI Director to further the Department's mission and strategically grow existing and new programs. Conceptualizes and directs the design and implementation of self-supporting, revenue producing education programs such as online micro-masters. Envisions, develops and implements a comprehensive outreach and marketing strategy to promote and expand HDSI education programs. Coordinate preparation and execution of relevant cooperative agreements with counterpart institutions and agencies. Responsible for the community outreach, alumni relations, marketing, and fundraising efforts in coordination with campus External Relations and University Relations.
- Proven fundraising experience. Ability to establish, maintain, develop, and foster mutually beneficial business relationships with industry representatives and organizations.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience including recruitment, training, work direction, motivation, performance management, staff development, and discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to support development of new programs, expansion or re-visioning of existing programs, or otherwise promote growth and organizational innovation.
- Strong knowledge of administrative, budgetary, human resources and financial principles and practices.
- Ability to develop and manage complex multi-program/project budgets and to establish and maintain budgeting processes for a complex organization which include projecting costs, coordinating multiple projects, adapting programmatic objectives to changes in resources, and establishing priorities as affected by budgetary issues.
- Demonstrated high level skill in assessing needs and developing strategies to support diversity and inclusion.
- Strong experience with public speaking. Strong oral and written communication skills. Excellent communication skills with ability to speak and write about technical and scientific research persuasively and creatively.
- Academic background and experience in selected area of research preferred.
- Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
Duties may require direct contact and/or supervision of children (defined as individuals under the age of 18); completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) form will be required.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.