The Senior Accountant will be responsible for financial reporting, maintaining the General Ledger, and supporting other functions within the accounting department. This position will play an active role in the financial close process and preparation of month-end journal entries which includes intercompany journal entries and consolidations. As part of the monthly close the role is responsible for a variety of accruals, tracking deferred revenue, and completing the related reconciliations.
This role will also be responsible for assisting in preparing sales and use tax returns, property tax returns and serving as the internal resource on sales, use, property and local tax matters. This role will also assist the Senior Accounting Manager with a myriad of general accounting activities including preparing sales invoices. On a quarterly and annual basis, the Senior Accountant will prepare a variety of PBCs (Provided by Client) for outside accounting firm, and reports/documents needed by bankers and other third parties (such as part of RFPS/bids for client engagements).
This position requires a strong understanding of accounting concepts and GAAP, the ability to meet deadlines, and the ability to efficiently interact with various groups across the company as well as outside of the company. The ideal candidate will have a work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to multitask and self-motivate, and he/she will have a flexible, can-do attitude. This role reports to the Senior Accounting Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Including but not limited to:
- Support all Month-End close activities, including assisting in accurate closing of the accounting systems and records
- Analyze and reconcile assigned balance sheet and intercompany accounts, preparing general ledger entries and adjustments of AR/AP, Interco, etc.
- Prepare accurate month-end and quarter-end financial close activities within the required deadline
- Prepare monthly and quarterly journal entries for recurring expenses, accruals, prepayments, allocated expenses, and adjusting entries, balance sheet reconciliations, accruals, etc.
- Assist with the consolidation process and ensure elimination companies are properly reconciled and eliminated
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Assist with the balance sheet and income statement flux analysis for management reporting
- Manage Multi-states sales tax administration including assisting with sales & use tax audits and filing of sales & use tax returns
- Research sales tax laws and work with consultants/CPAs to ensure company compliance
- Register with state and local entities for sales tax and other business taxes
- Monitor tax records and databases for data integrity
- Assist with Accounts Receivable activities, including preparing and posting sales invoices
- Assist with maintaining internal control and tax compliance
- Support Senior Accounting Manager for activities such as budget/forecast analysis, reconciliations, internal and external audits, reports for bankers, financial documents needed for RFPs, etc.
- Assist Controller and CFO with financial reporting and analysis as required and procedures as needed
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical and process improvement skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Proven ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization and with customers and vendors
- Work ethic that exudes integrity, accountability, and professionalism
- High attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel and Word), intermediate/advanced level in Excel, including proficiency with lookups and pivot tables a plus
- BS degree in Accounting/Finance
- 5 years of experience
- Solid accounting background, with adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Self-motivated and able to contribute individually and as a team, with minimal supervision
- ·Ability to multi-task, as well as prioritize and adhere to tight deadlines
- A strong understanding of financial statements