Job Title: Accountant I
Under direction, performs a variety of professional accounting and auditing duties; prepares factual and analytical statements and reports; analyzes and evaluates financial records; performs related duties as required.
Working under supervision of higher level accountants and with established guidelines, the Accountant I develops sufficient knowledge and skill to perform journey level responsibilities independently. This is a trainee level classification.
- Prepares a variety of detailed accounting, statistical and/or narrative financial statements or reports requiring analysis and interpretation.
- Examines and analyzes fiscal documents to ensure adherence to established internal controls; verifies the accuracy of accounting records and transactions and effectiveness of record keeping systems.
- Prepares, or supervises technical and clerical personnel in the preparation of, manual and computerized ledger entries, original entries, reconciliations, trial balances, and other fiscal record keeping work.
- Makes complex or difficult adjusting entries affecting several subsystems of a departmental accounting system.
- Recommends the installation of new or revised accounting systems, procedures and records.
- Advises officials and departmental personnel on accounting and fiscal actions and procedures.
- Prepares, evaluates, justifies, and maintains budgets and establishes budgetary controls.
- Participates in financial, compliance, and operational audits of County departments, courts, and special districts under the direction of a team leader; performs audits of limited scope alone.
- Performs a specialized accounting function in an area such as tax or cost accounting.
- Provides vacation and temporary relief as required.
Option 1: Bachelor's degree in accounting OR Bachelor's degree in another field which includes 30 semester (45 quarter) units of completed college coursework in accounting or related field. Half of the units MUST be upper division. A list of completed college coursework or legible transcripts MUST be submitted with the application if the applicant does not possess a bachelor's degree in accounting.
(Applications will also be accepted from candidates currently enrolled and completing their last semester/quarter prior to graduating with a bachelor's degree. A letter from the school indicating graduation date must be submitted with the application. Proof of degree conferred must be provided at time of hire.)
Option 2: An active California Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license. List your license number under the license/certification section of the application.
Note: Qualifying degrees or coursework must be completed at a college or university accredited by any accrediting association recognized by the United States Department of Education. Degrees or coursework completed outside the U.S. must be accompanied with an evaluation report from a reputable credential evaluation service showing equivalency to degrees or coursework completed at a college or university accredited by any accrediting association recognized by the United States Department of Education.
Talantage, LLC is committed to presenting candidates that contribute to an organizations culture of inclusivity and its commitment to diversity in the workplace are demonstrated through our recruitment practices. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, or veteran status. Our equal opportunity employment efforts comply with all applicable U.S. state and federal laws governing non-discrimination in employment.