About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
Role Mission: The Web Developer will be responsible for improving IDEA’s operational processes and supporting critical strategies by assisting in the new development and implementation related to our public facing website and the internal intranet portal.
The Developer will deliver the testing, ongoing evaluation, and validation of organizational data structures and identify issues in current processes while providing proven strategies for ongoing website development.
This position will provide recommendations and insight regarding IDEA’s IT operations and strategy from an applications development standpoint. This job requires the ability and desire to work and communicate well in a dynamic team environment as well as dependability and self-sufficiency.
On-time Product Delivery: Drive to and maintain on-time development and delivery of high-quality features for 100% of the IDEA Public Schools website(s) as defined by monthly sprint plans and measured by:
- % of critical defects due to code changes should be limited to a max of 5%
- % of spilled over development tasks should be limited to a max of 5%
- % of pre-deployment defects should be limited to a max of 10%
- % of reopened defects should be limited to a max of 2%.
Effective Requirements Analysis: New major product work and execution is detailed with full requirements analysis and effective preparation for sprint planning, with detailed task/effort estimates as measured by:
- Difference between estimated effort and actual effort should be limited to a max of 15% and decrease gradually
- Defects due a mismatch in understanding of the requirements should be limited to a max of 10%
Efficient Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: Thorough object-oriented analysis and design of features with the documentation of necessary design artifacts as measured by:
- Refactoring time to enhance/improve code changes should be less than 15% of the original effort
- At least 20% of all code developed should be reusable
- Reuse of code should be leveraged whenever possible. Duplication should be limited to a max of 5%
Process: 100% of all Software Development agile development will be tracked, monitored and reported to achieve specific trends in the areas of cycle time (negative), escaped defects (negative), and planned-to-done ratios (positive).
- Provides progress reporting for all personal project work in a timely and reasonable manner including estimates, time spent, risk assessment, and resource allocations
- Manages/owns weekly check-in preparations including progress-toward-goals, 3 month work plans, and agendas including project status updates and pain points
- Manages/owns project and tactical preparation preparations including progress-toward-goals, 3 month work plans, and agendas including project status updates and pain points
- Actively participates in organizational meetings and functions as a team member representing the Software Development Team
- Manages and maintains 100% of project and team artifacts related to assigned projects including planners, meeting minutes, checklists, the tracking of progress-toward-goals, help desk ticket completion, and source control management of project work.
Continuous Improvement of Domain, Technical, and Behavioral Skills: Continuously enhancing the product domain knowledge, technical, and behavioral competencies to grow to the next level as measured by:
- Relevant trainings/actions need to be identified, planned and attended 3 times within the year (1 skill from each area – domain, technical, and behavioral)
- Best practices improvements and updates communicated to the team via team operating mechanisms such as tacticals and step backs for direct communication with the team.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Education: Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- Experience: 2+ years related work experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- License or Certification: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (Web Applications)
The Web Developer is primarily responsible for the Design, Development, Deployment, and Maintenance of:
- Web Applications – UI/UX (Front End), Server Side (Back End), Database, and Server.
- Search Engine Optimization Planning & Implementation (SEO)
- Migrations – Code & System (On Premise & Cloud)
- Integrations – Internal / External Systems & APIs w/ Website(s)
- Security – Authentication, Authorization, & Encryption
- Source Code Repositories – Backup, Versioning, Branching, & Versioning
- Development Environments – Production & Staging
- Testing & Debugging – Unit, Functional, & Regression
- Risk Analysis – Assessment, Documentation/Communication, and Recommend Solutions
- Documentation – Technical, In Line Code, & Metadata
Knowledge and Skills:
- Software Engineering Best Practices
- Agile Software Development
- Code Reviews
- Design Documentation
- Software Architecture
- Object Oriented Programming
- Design Patterns
- Web Design & Development
- User Interface / User Experience
- Web Servers
- Cloud Services (Digital Ocean, Amazon Web Services, Azure)
- Database Design and Development
- MySQL/SQL Server
- Visual Studio
- Web Design and Development
- Configuration Over Code
- Server Side/Pre-Rendering
- Web Servers
- Load Balancing
- Traffic Shaping
- Windows Authentication
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to detail
- Improving business process
- Planning and organizing
- Problem Solving
- Quality focus
- Client focus
- Continuous improvement
- Business focus
- Interpersonal communication
- Information Technology and Software Engineering Competencies
- Web Development, Support and Maintenance
- Web Server Architecture
- Database Design and Management For Web
- Processes, Methodologies, and Tools
- Security/Information and Application Protection
- Software Development Lifecycle
- Systems Design
Salaries for people entering this role typically start between $57,100 and $68,500, commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational goal attainment.