Supports, designs, implements and monitors enterprise wide application solutions aligned with industry and company standards as well as emerging business requirements. Works in close collaboration with team members, end users and other IS departments to meet the company's goals, with little to no supervision.
- Provides operational support for assigned application solution(s), IS functional teams and business users as a lead for highly complex projects and/or enhancements to existing architecture. This includes the use of Valero's system to track support activities.
- Works on the design and implementation projects. Responsibilities include the successful and reliable implementation of a cost effective highly complex project while meeting business needs.
- Works on highly complex tasks for the design, development, operation, maintenance and upgrade of information system core services for the enterprise wide software involving SAP solutions and the system administration of information systems and supporting subsystems. This includes, but is not limited to: application installations, upgrades, support pack, transport management, system refreshes, database/system restores, performance turning, trouble-shooting, problem-solving, issue resolution, user interaction, training, defining systems scope, gathering requirements, documenting design specifications, research and fact-finding, configuration, testing, reporting, cutover, IS and business user coordination.
- Effectively works relationships within the department and strong functional relationships at various job levels with business users, IS departments, user groups and Valero business partners.
- Learns or demonstrates a broad, in-depth mastery of more than one SAP discipline and associated application/hardware integration while continuously looking for opportunities to improve, streamline, reinvent processes and technology gaps.
- Helps coordinate the adoption of new procedures resulting from software and hardware changes, including the development of system specifications, documentation, training, and communication plans.
- Performs analysis on and recommends quality highly complex solutions to infrastructure technology disciplines and stays abreast of emerging cost effective technologies.
- Understands and mentors others on the various IT methodologies which include project management, development, service management and system architecture.
- Participates in SAP Basis on-call rotation.
- May be required to work off-hours and on weekends for projects and/or support.
- Some travel may be required.
This position is salaried exempt status, which means you are not eligible for overtime pay.
- Bachelor’s (or higher) degree or foreign degree equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Information Technology, or related required.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant information services experience required.
- Broad in-depth mastery of SAP Basis Administration with more than one of the following technologies:
- SAP NetWeaver ABAP (ERP, BW, BPC, CRM, GRC, PPM)
- SAP NetWeaver JAVA (Enterprise Portal, NWDI)
- SAP HANA
- SAP System Landscape Transformation (SLT)
- SAP Solution Manager
- SAP System Landscape Directory
- SAP NetWeaver Process Integration (PI)
- SAP NetWeaver Identity Management (IdM)
- SAP Manufacturing Intelligence & Integration (MII)
- Skilled in providing thorough, efficient, and effective customer service to individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal methods.
- Ability to accomplish assignments, and work with others, within required timelines, including short, long, and emergency timeframes.
- Demonstrates a positive service attitude, exercise good judgment, maintain relationships internally and externally with customers/vendors, display excellent problem solving skills, and possess a willingness and desire to learn and ask questions in order to grow in scope of knowledge.
- Strong organizational skills to manage and coordinate business user interactions, including requirements gathering, testing, training, and post implementation support.
- Basic skill using Microsoft Office programs (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Lync).
All successful candidates must be eligible to obtain a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential). It is Valero’s policy that employees must wear this card at all times while working at the refinery. Please review eligibility criteria at
Position level and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Valero's employees are the heart of its success, and there is a reason why the company is an employer of choice in the fuels manufacturing and marketing industry. It’s not just the excellent benefits package, or the opportunities for personal growth, it’s also the caring and committed culture of the organization that makes everyone feel like they’re truly part of a team. For more information, visit Valero.com.
Valero is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected status including sexual orientation, gender identity, Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and protected Veterans.