Under general direction, is responsible for performing spatial and statistical analysis on Geographic Information System (GIS) data and other program requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Compiles, maintains, distributes County-wide GIS data and ensures the integrity of the data by performing quality control checks
- Confers with technical staff to provide technical advice and resolve problems
- Assists with reports, studies and advanced mapping projects for internal and external use
- Prepares detailed reports regarding requests for analysis on spatial and tabular data, studies, reports, and advanced mapping products
- Performs spatial and statistical analysis on GIS data
- Analyzes GIS data requirements and develops GIS data architecture in accordance to Bexar County GIS standards
- Facilitates training for County staff in the use of GIS and GPS technology
- Conducts special GIS projects
- Develops tools to automate GIS processes
- Tests and assess GIS hardware and software
- Performs related duties as required
- Bachelor's Degree in GIS, Geography, Community and Regional Planning, Mathematics, Surveying, Computer Science or Civil Engineering or a closely related field, and one year experience with geographic information systems; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of GIS principles, practices, capabilities and limitations with proficiency in GIS related software (e.g., Arc/Info, ArcGIS, cartography, data editing, statistical analysis, data modeling, metadata, geo-database architecture, GIS solution and data integration, geo-processing models, basic programming (VB/VBA, JSP, ASP, SQL, HTML, XML), small project management, GIS tool development, GIS training, technical writing and troubleshooting. Working knowledge of ArcSDE, ArcIMS and Oracle preferred. Knowledge of statistical and spatial analysis, data interoperability, geo-processing, 3D visualization and multi-editor practices, basic cartography methodologies and GPS equipment and operations
- Skill in computer needs assessment, development and implementation; skill in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing; skill to operate all computer equipment; skill in communicating technical information to individuals with varying levels of computer literacy; skill in evaluate training needs, developing course curriculum and assessing course effectiveness; skill in presenting course materials and facilitating group exercises
- Ability to interpret statistical data, formulate recommendations and write reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, County employees, outside organizations, service providers and the general public
- Must secure and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance
- Must clear a pre-employment physical and a pre-employment drug screen test
- May be required to work more than 40 hours during the workweek
Working Environment and Physical Demands:
- Generally working in indoor conditions
- Occasionally moves items weighing up to 5-10 pounds
- Occasionally moves about the office
- Frequently communicates with others; must be able to exchange accurate information
- Generally operates a computer and other office productivity machinery
- Positions self to perform essential functions
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position
Workstations with internet access are available, if needed, to view job postings and apply online at 211 S Flores, San Antonio, TX 78204, 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. Phone: 210-335-2545.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Bexar County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to Workplace Diversity.
We are committed to providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.