Customer Service Representative - 90259758 - Salt Lake City (Salt Lake City, UT, US, 84101)
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
This position is responsible for providing our passengers with superior customer service from behind the ticket counter or on the station floor or platform.
- The ability to maintain a positive, good natured attitude is essential. The incumbent will be responsible for greeting, servicing and general comfort of each passenger. Representative must be comfortable with interacting with customers, speaking on a public address system and using Amtrak systems.
- Incumbent must be skilled in the processing of all types of Amtrak tickets and must have a thorough understanding of tariffs to properly price tickets. Make ticket reports promptly, properly safeguard company funds properly and prepare related reports. Incumbent must be qualified with the operation of Arrow, RailRes/Stars and Quik-Trak. Position will be governed by all Corporate and station policies.
- The incumbent will be responsible for the proper care and preventative maintenance of the ticket printers and Quik-Trak machines. Keep all information racks filled as needed. Perform miscellaneous clerical duties related to the station.
- Representative will provide assistance to customers with special needs. Will assist passengers with luggage and boarding trains. Must be proficient with baggage & express operation and be able to quote rates and information. Handles checked baggage, package express and company materials in the station and on/off trains. Must be able to lift items that weigh up to 50lbs. Incumbent must be able to push or pull a baggage cart and operate baggage equipment (i.e. tow tractor, pallet jack and forklift). Will be required to perform janitorial duties.
- The incumbent will be responsible for the dissemination of both verbal and printed information to passengers including schedules, fares, routing, city highlights, boarding information, tours and other intermodal transportation. Representative must be familiar with the operation of the Passenger Information Display System. The incumbent will ensure all passenger train boarding(s) are timely. Will verify passengers are properly ticketed or have the proper travel documents, and ensure compliance with baggage requirements prior to admission to station platforms.
- This position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Must comply with the company’s uniform and grooming policy to present a positive image on behalf of Amtrak through manners, actions and personal style.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in customer service
- Must be able to work under pressure, through prioritization and task orientation
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Learn policy and procedures quickly and is able to locate information with minimal guidance
- Be able to work with minimal supervision
- General experience with computer-based office equipment
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Must be proficient with baggage & express operation
- Must be able to operate equipment such as a tow-tractor, forklift, hand carts, two-way radios
- Prior customer service experience
- Cash handling and accounting environment experience
- Experience with computer software/systems
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Job Family/Function:Customer Service
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Customer Service || Customer Service