Proposed Faculty Rank Assistant Professor
Department 00165 - Special Education
City Salt Lake City, UT
Track Tenure Track
New Position to Begin August 2020
edu/ in the College of Education at the University of Utah invites applications for an Assistant Professor tenure-track position to begin August 2020. The proposed position will be filled by an individual with a demonstrated record of success in research and teaching in the area of Adapted Physical Education. With the growing diversity of its schools and communities, the University of Utah is committed to training future professionals in working effectively with diverse populations.
- Conduct research in area of Adapted Physical Education.
- Teach undergraduate, master, and doctoral level courses in Adapted Physical Education and Special Education.
- Engage in service to the profession and university.
- Engage in outreach to local and state agencies and the community.
- Participate in external grant-writing activities.
- An earned doctorate in special education or closely related field focused on Adapted Physical Education by August 15, 2020.
- A record of scholarly achievement or strong evidence of potential as a scholar.
- A record of or potential for effective teaching in higher education.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong collegial and collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, students, and members of the community.
- A record of or strong evidence of potential for obtaining externally funded research and training grants.
- Minimum of three years of successful teaching experience in Special Education and/or Adapted Physical Education.
Preference may be given to candidates who offer one or more of the following preferred qualifications:
- Knowledge and skills in providing culturally appropriate support to students with disabilities and their families.
- Demonstrated expertise in a range of research methodologies and advanced statistical modeling.
- Experience developing and/or managing public school Adapted Physical Education programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of inclusive Adapted Physical Education programs.
Salary and benefit package are competitive with other research-intensive universities.
com/hr/postings/82188 via the University of Utah web site. Do not send application materials directly to the department. As part of the application process, you are required to upload:
- A letter of application, addressing experience, interests, qualifications, and areas of specialization as they relate to the position announcement.
- A curriculum vita.
- A recent academic transcript if applicant is currently completing doctoral degree or completed it within the last year.
- Three samples of scholarly writing that represents the applicant's own scholarship.
- Names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of three individuals who can speak to the applicant's research, teaching, and service productivity and potential.
File review will begin October 15, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding the position may be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Matt Jameson, via telephone at 801-585-3742 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Located in metropolitan Salt Lake City in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the state's flagship research institution and emphasizes exceptional scholarship, quality teaching, and professional service. The university serves over 32,000 students from across the U.S. and the world with over 72 major subjects at the undergraduate level and more than 90 major fields of study at the graduate level, including law and medicine. Known for its proximity to seven world-class ski resorts within 40 minutes of campus, the University of Utah encourages an active, holistic lifestyle, innovation, and collaborative thinking to engage students, faculty and business leaders. Salt Lake City is a vibrant, major metropolitan area with a diverse, multicultural population and numerous cultural and outdoor activities.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, status as a person with a disability, genetic information, or Protected Veteran status. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans' preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. To inquire about the University's nondiscrimination or affirmative action policies or to request disability accommodation, please contact: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 135, (801) 581-8365.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“ URS “). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS' post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen and immunizations.
Special Instructions for Candidates
Open Date 09/13/2019
Open Until Filled Yes
Requisition Number PRN00487CF