RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT MANAGER-METALS MANUFACTURING
KP Recruiting Group Salem, OR
We're seeking a Research and Development Manager to join our team!
The purpose of this role is to drive the development of new and improved products and to lead revolutionary technology advances for production process improvement. The ideal candidate for this role is organized, motivated, and has proven track record for technical leadership. Specifically, the Manager of Research and Development will:
- Execute the company's vision for front end innovation and manage the process from idea generation and business case through identification of channels for internal and external commercialization.
- Leverage standardization efforts established through Technology Council.
- Contribute to the achievement of business goals and objectives through focused research and the creation of a portfolio of profitable, new technology driven ventures that take advantage of technical and manufacturing capabilities to serve established and emerging markets.
- Partner with the Sales and Business Development functions to identify, analyze and select emerging technology areas that best leverage and align with manufacturing capabilities as well as short and long-term market advantages to secure a continuous funnel cost reduction and business growth opportunities.
- Monitor the business and technical environment to anticipate technology opportunities. Initiate, define, and lead technical projects to address these opportunities.
- Lead the development of new or refined products, materials, processes, and innovative and creative solutions to problems and/or customer needs. Pursue the effective transfer of developments into the Company or customer operations utilizing rapid prototyping and cycles of improvement
- Utilize lean tools and concepts to manage the innovation portfolio and drive process-focused, results-driven achievement of business goals, objectives and growth opportunities.
- Collaborate and partner with established cross-functional teams to achieve results for successfully vetted cost reduction, process improvement, innovation and growth opportunities for new and existing products.
- Build and cultivate relationships with other Business Units and Technology Council to foster collaboration on new business opportunities.
- Lead a team of approximately 10 employees, providing mentorship, training, career planning and development.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering is the minimum requirement;
- Bachelor's Degree in Material Science or Metallurgical Engineering is preferred;
- Master's or PhD is strongly preferred
- 7 years in a Senior Engineering role is required for this position.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Include:
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to think 3-10 years ahead of what is available today
- Demonstrated ability to learn new processes, concepts and technologies easily
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to create common knowledge, generate buy-in and influence stakeholders, including senior management, toward recommended decisions
- Extensive technical breadth in the areas of materials, properties, processes, products, and applications
- Exposure to domestic and international markets and market trends across a wide range of industries
- Ability to analyze data and forecast, prioritize and lead experimental efforts
- Demonstrated organizational leadership
- Change management and conflict resolution
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities
- Knowledge of LEAN principles and management
- Knowledge of intellectual property management and export control requirements
- Ability to travel up to 25%