Under the direction of the Program Manager, a Water Exercise Instructor will conduct classes that comply with the standards of the certification held as well as the YMCA's mission and teaching philosophy.
- Lead quality water fitness classes, incorporating fitness and safety principles
- Know and assist in performing Emergency Action Plan
- Assist lifeguards during transition times and emergencies
This position reports to the Program Manager who reports to the Director of Health Living. The incumbent woks closely with the other PT instructors, supervisor, member services, and building / maintenance staff. The incumbent should address members by name and encourage participation in activities.
- Quality Results
This job description represents the major functions of the position but it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from branch representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the branch or Associations success.
Qualifications - Required
- Possess the required certification for the class being taught
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: Adult CPR, AED
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and remedy hazardous/dangerous situations
- Patience and the ability to communicate with all ages and levels of swimmers
- Dedicated to member safety and the mission and philosophy of the YMCA
Qualifications - Preferred
- YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard or YASA certification
- Communicate verbally and project voice across a distance in a loud situation while performing the workout
- Recognize distress signals
- Be able to demonstrate and observe correct movements
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in hazardous / dangerous situations
- Must be able to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting
- Must be able to remain alert with no lapses of consciousness in a warm environment with air temperatures of 80 degrees or higher