The MLL Department is seeking a TOSA - ELL Program Coordinator. This position will serve as an ELL Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA).
- A valid ESL teaching license issued by the Minnesota Department of Education
- At least three years of teaching experience including;
- Experience teaching ELL students
- Experience teaching at the elementary level
- Experience teaching in an urban setting
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of current educational research and practice in second language acquisition and English language development
- Knowledge of current educational research and practice in the teaching of reading and writing (Reader's and Writer's Workshop)
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge about the linguistic and cultural differences that ELL students bring to the school setting
- Ability or willingness to function in a team
- Ability to work in a collaborative setting
- Ability to develop and/or adapt curriculum to be suitable for ELL students
- Knowledge and practical experience with the district's model of Reader's and Writer's Workshop
- Ability to work effectively with administrators and teachers in furthering the objectives of the ELL program
- Knowledge and practical experience in providing English language development to elementary students
- Experience conducting professional staff development
- Strong knowledge of graduation standards, current assessment measures
The essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following fundamental duties:
- Work with team members including ELL department staff to provide a coordinated instructional program district-wide
- Work with administrators and ELL and general education teachers to provide a coordinated instructional program at each building
- Provide assistance which may include modeling lessons to ELL and general education teachers as needed
- Support ELL and general education teachers in instructional collaboration in Readers, Writers, and Math Workshop
- Communicate with other staff, parents, and community members regarding the purpose and effectiveness of ELL services
- Coordinate and participate in training on effective ELL strategies and models
- Provide guidance around curriculum and standards to ELL teachers
- Identify and help ELL teachers and school administrators to solve problems with scheduling, identifying ELL students, delivering ELL services, ELL materials, etc.
- Assist the ELL Director in the collection and maintenance of necessary records/information
- Assist ELL Director in the delivery and implementation of ELL models
- Perform other duties as assigned
Essential functions are functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation through the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disability Amendments Act (ADAAA). The essential functions are typical duties as outline under Responsibilities.
Regular and reliable attendance.
Maybe exposed to various cleaning products.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
This is a 10 month position working 40 hours per week.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Teacher negotiated labor agreement. The minimum rate of pay for this position is $45,659 annually.
Benefits are available to new employees after 30 days of active employment. Benefits include medical insurance, life insurance, sick leave, pension plan, tax-free retirement account, and flexible spending account. Some employee groups also receive vacation, dental insurance and disability insurance.
How To Apply
To be considered further, please apply for this position and attach a resume and cover letter to your online application.
The Human Resource Department will review your application materials and contact you regarding the next steps.
To attach additional documents to your online application, click on the “Additional Attachments“ link from the applicant homepage and upload your documents as attachments. Valid file extensions for attaching a document include .doc, .txt, .rtf, and .pdf.
Transcript - Unofficial transcripts are accepted at the time of hire. You must submit official transcripts within 30 days of your start date. Formal credential evaluation is required for post-secondary education completed outside of the United States.
Veteran's Preference - If you are an eligible veteran applying for a job where veteran's preference applies and wish to claim Veterans Preference you must submit a legible copy of your DD214 to the Human Resource Department with your employment application. If your claim is approved, five or ten additional points will be added to your final passing score.
Criminal Background Investigation and Reference Checks - Reference checks and a criminal background investigation will be completed as a condition of hire for all new employees and for former employees who have not been employed by the District for more than six months.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saint Paul Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and supports an inclusive workplace environment.
SPPS is committed to eliminating racial disparities and predictability in achievement and to a workforce which embodies this commitment.