Requisition Number: SRDIG01136
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the Senior Digital Producer of The Current, you are responsible for driving growth for The Current properties at Minnesota Public Radio, specifically focusing on expanding The Current’s digital engagement and reach while also ensuring the operational excellence for all digital properties under The Current’s portfolio. As an expert user of digital tools and platforms, your role will lead the implementation of the content strategy across social, web, newsletters, video and podcasting. You will bring an analytic mindset to the work, regularly updating project leads about performance and areas for improvement.
As the Senior Digital Producer, you will regularly collaborate with others throughout the organization. You will work with colleagues across Minnesota Public Radio to make outstanding content that reaches the most people possible, and work with the Digital Products and Platform team to maintain and build class-leading digital products across multiple channels.
Your role functions in a matrix organizational structure, working with multiple leaders making it critical to collaborate and coordinate all efforts and ensure all work aligns to our goals. The goals of the Senior Producer are established working with the Managing Director of The Current.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Locations: St. Paul, MNMinimum Compensation: $72,000 annually. Exact hourly rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
- Align digital activities to The Current’s business plan, brand ladder and company strategic plan.
- Develop and execute plans for content to meet audience growth goals.
- Oversee day-to-day scheduling and posting of content on web, social, newsletter, platforms.
- Track real-time and daily estimates of analytics on all platforms, respond with necessary changes.
- Write, produce and edit highly shareable content for digital platforms.
- Establish expectations and support for social media activities.
- Monitor short and long-range performance of content projects, advises on investing or stopping activity.
- Plan work to meet short- and long-term goals and objectives.
- Be watchful and report on trends in digital activity and tailor plans to a changing landscape.
- Respond to business & partner needs.
- Hire, train, and manager direct staff through coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development plans and opportunities and provide training to enhance skills.
- Manage interns who assist in updating g and managing web sites.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in web production, multimedia, communications or related field.
- 5-7 years of experience with 1-2 years in a leadership role. Experience should include web production, several years of online experience.
- Experience and background in content creation and development, including writing, multimedia production and editing.
- A minimum of one year of team management experience.
- Prior experience bringing projects from ideation to completion in newsrooms.
- Prior experience using digital tools to engage existing and new audiences.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Effective communication and collaboration, project planning, team building in a matrix organization, comfortable embracing and leading change, and developing new ways to engage audiences around music and cultural programming through digital channels.
- Strong team player who is an excellent communicator that is capable of articulating goals and tactics for making the digital channels successful.
- A strong ability to work independently.
- Ability to think and plan strategically - develop big picture plans while also being able to execute and manage the work to bring the plans to life. Track record of leading multiple projects.
- Highly motivated and experienced with a track record of online innovation in all areas ranging from content to community to technology.
- Solid understanding and proven competency in standard web production tools.
- Proven abilities to conceive, plan, and execute complex projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- Understanding of and passion for the social media universe including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc. A belief in the power of the web, social media and mobile technologies to engage audiences.
- Experience with video, including posting to YouTube and maximizing a YouTube audience.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, work well with other producers, on-air hosts and technology members.
- Proven ability to act and communicate effectively and create a transparent environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications (oral and written) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and to be a self-starter.
- Creativity in online design and interactivity, and insight into user perspective.
- Ability to interact with executive and senior leaders of the company in a variety of circumstances.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with musicians, music producers and others
- Knowledge of site analytics tools including Google Analytics
- Best practices for email marketing and social media
Reporting to This Position: Digital Producers
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Required to haul and set-up video equipment both on and off-site
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.