Electronic Technician II - St. Paul, MN
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
General responsibilities for this position involve the installation, construction and commissioning of radios and base stations, wired or wireless communication systems and equipment, wayside detection systems and Train Control systems.
- Will work outdoors a majority of the time with exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity such as extreme heat, cold, ice, rain, snow;
- Extensive out of town work about 90% away from home;
- Can be physically demanding at times:
- Long distance driving
- Lift/carry, push/pull 50+ pounds
- Bending, stooping & standing
- Climb vertical ladders, stairs, ramps & getting on & off of track equipment
- Balance - FREQUENTLY (walk on uneven surfaces such as rocks for extended periods of time and for long distances)
- Reach above shoulders
- Sitting for long periods occasionally
- Work at height on ladders and scaffolding occasionally
- Occasional exposures to dust, fumes and gasses
- Use meters, scopes, and other various types of test equipment to diagnose equipment problems and failures;
- Troubleshoot equipment to component level;
- Facilitate repair and return of bad order circuit cards and components through equipment vendors;
- Use computers for diagnostics in troubleshooting electronic equipment, software burning, software uploading/downloading, downloading event logs, and other various functions;
- Test, inspect, and repair signal apparatus to meet requirements set forth by Canadian Pacific and FRA regulatory requirements;
- Manage and document applicable FRA test and inspection reports;
- Support Maintainers, Signal Crews, and other S&C employees in their duties and with technical issues;
- Acquire and apply knowledge of S&C equipment & systems deployed on the property;
- Become familiar with Signal & Communication circuit drawings and standards;
- Make field checks and corrections to circuit drawings as necessary;
- May also supervise, instruct, or direct other employees who may be assisting the Electronic Technician in their work.
- Require formal electronic training with a recognized associate’s degree, military or other equivalent specialized electronic training;
- Must have a valid FCC General Radio Telephone Operators License (GROL) or equivalent i.e. International Society of Certified Electronic Technicians (ISCET certification);
- Must be qualified to handle work pertaining to VHF radio, data, carrier, telephone, EOT devices, switchboards and defect detectors;
- Requires valid Driver’s License to operate company vehicle;
- Ability to obtain CDL;
- Ability to respond for emergent work past normal working hours;
- Ability to occasionally work at various heights (ladders, signal masts and structures);
- Previous railroad experience is preferred;
- Must comply with company safety policies including the use of company approved PPE personal protective equipment (steel toe work boots, hearing protection, safety glasses, work gloves, hard hat & other.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Completive company pension plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
Drug Test Elements:
All new hires are required to undergo a drug screen. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CP safe and drug free.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Education verification
- Last 3 years of driving history
- Last 3 years of employment history; includes military service
- Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.