Lutheran Social Service MN is a dynamic social service organization serving children, youth and families, people with disabilities, older adults and military veterans. Trustworthiness is a value and strength shared by our employees and recognized by the communities we serve. We offer an ALIVE Workplace (Supportive, Positive and Fun) and careers that challenge, energize and rewards employees. Consider joining us!
As a Direct Support Professional you will provide guidance, encouragement, support, comfort, security and safety through relationship building and direct interaction with individuals receiving services. You will advocate for the individuals in all aspects of life, including medical and community engagement, while advocating for personal choice. You will address any situations or emergencies that may arise. You will support individuals in performing essential living skills more independently, assuring they are living the life that matches their hopes and dreams. You will provide transportation to all appointments and other events each individual desires. You will be required to maintain documentation, perform record keeping and participate in periodic meetings/training according to regulations. This is an overnight position that allows for approximately 5 hours of sleep per night, however, concerns during the night and in the morning hours are expected to be addressed.
- Successfully meet the requirements of a background check.
- Experience and/or training of at least one year with individuals with disabilities is desired.
- Computer skills that support LSS technology and basic math skills.
- Able to read, write and solve problems.
- Able to recognize boundaries and exhibit patience, self-control and flexibility.
- Ability to suggest and implement strategies to enhance the service.
- Successful completion of medication administration training; may be obtained after hire.
- CPR/First Aid certification; may be obtained after hire.
- Mental Health Certification is desired; may be obtained after hire.
Lutheran Social Service of MN is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of all people regardless of gender, race, culture, religion, ethnicity, protected veteran status and/or disability. We actively foster an environment that is free of racism, discrimination, bias, and harassment where all individuals are treated with dignity, safety and respect.
Additional Posting Information:
Intermittent sleep overnight supporting 4 ladies as needed throughout the night and preparing for their day. Sunday - Wednesday 10p-8a
LSS employees have deeply meaningful work that changes lives, the opportunity for their unique gifts to shine and grow, and abundant and balanced lives.