Responsible for the development and execution of the safety and environmental compliance programs. Coordinates and participates in the adherence to all regulatory requirements including, but not limited to, Federal, State, and Local ordinances in relation to chemical hazards & EHS&S compliance. Manages and maintains compliance programs to ensure adherence to regulatory conformity, quality, proper methods, and practices.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Assure compliance with Regulatory Agencies, governing bodies, certification bodies as it relates to EHS&S. Environmental, Health & Safety & Security (EHS&S). This includes but is not limited to: OSHA, EPA/RCRA, CERCLA, SARA, and DOT/IATA.
- Develop/Improve and execute Safety Programs for the site.
- Responsible for site security.
- Ensure compliance at site EH&S regarding OSHA, CSAT, EPA, Board of Pharmacy, and other government agencies as assigned.
- Consult with associates and supervisors as to specific safety, chemical, or handling concerns. Perform JHA/JSAs for specific task. Remediate issues.
- Learn and understand SDS regulations and cross train to author SDSs when required of the position.
- Lead company internal safety audits and improvements to the safety program.
- Respond to and investigate company incidents and accidents in accordance with OSHA requirements.
- Complete and review existing regulatory registrations and permits that are local, state, or federal.
- Lead the Emergency Response Team and administer emergency response supplies.
- Advise management on current, new, and proposed regulations.
- Provide regulatory path and strategy for existing and new production applications.
- Conduct safety training, including, forklift, respirator fit, blood-borne pathogen, etc.
- Verify that new equipment complies with safety regulations and requirements.
- Administer and maintain ID badges, security camera, and keyless entry system.
- Ensure site wastewater compliance.
- Coordinate with BWC for Industrial testing.
- Attend safety council meetings to assure discount maintained.
- Ensure timely updates and filing of corporate safety summaries.
- Assume all duties of ASSO.
- Work with other MFG sites on Safety and Security Programs and Training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- 6-9+ years with Environmental, Health and Safety work experience
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering (or similar science degree)
- Experience in an Operational environment preferred Hazwoper, CPR/First Aid, OSHA 10hr- 30hr, ASQ CQA, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Strong oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Possess leadership ability to develop and maintain programs
- Must have the ability to work within a team environment and take initiative
- Ability to make recommendations and decisions to effectively lead the site EH&S program compliant to company policies procedures, and/or government law
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
Although the associate primarily works in an office environment, while performing the duties of this job, the associate can be exposed to an industrial warehouse environment. The associate may work near moving mechanical machinery and/or vehicles and the noise level in the work environment can be loud.
Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems.
A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at TalentManagement@avantorsciences.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
EEO is the Law
OFCCP EEO Supplement
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
3rd party non-solicitation policy
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation