Requisition Number: MANAG01106
TITLE: Manager of Account Management
GRADE LEVEL: 9
FLSA JOB STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Sales & Marketing Officer
DATE WRITTEN: February, 2021
The Manager of Account Management is responsible for leading management, retention and growth of our current client base by: 1) direct involvement in establishing strategic relationships that communicate the value and differences of Delta Dental, and 2) directing, supervising, and mentoring the account managers in all aspects of DDMO specific account management. This management responsibility includes providing guidance in addressing the ongoing changes in the marketplace, i.e. growing competitive forces, negotiating DDMO favorable renewal rates, and GSE terms, all of which require superior judgment, and strong negotiation skills. This position deals internally and externally with critical issues that can affect the company and its operations, and therefore requires a high degree of diplomacy and problem solving skills. The Manager of Account Management will set guidelines and priorities and lead national and commercial account business throughout the state, working in conjunction with the Springfield and Kansas City offices in implementing a strong account management approach. As a member of the Delta Dental management team, this position supports the management process, provides input and influences strategic direction.
This position reports to the CSMO and works collaboratively with other departmental staff to drive revenue and achieve business goals. This position also has responsibility for the Sales & Account Management support team through close partnership with and leadership of the Supervisor of Sales & Account Management Support.
- Lead the activities of account managers across the company in functions of retention, renewal negotiation, utilization reporting, service excellence, new account implementation and support to the RFP process.
- Provide leadership, direction and skill development to direct reports, and provide the lead throughout the state on issues of national account management.
- Work directly with account managers in negotiating renewals to maximize the renewal rate and gain optimal terms for DDMO.
- Develop operational procedures for account management and assure staff performs in accordance with the established procedures. Works with satellite offices in sharing account management best practices and with other department leaders on a wide range of processes and functions that are cross functional.
- Achieve overall account renewal goals set with the CSMO, and guide account managers in their business plans and individual goals.
- Direct account managers in developing proactive account specific strategic plans.
- With the assigned account manager, participate directly in major account (over 5,000 life groups) interaction with high-level decision-makers, presentations, and renewal activities and negotiations.
- Work with account managers in interpreting plan performance reports and using the information to present DDMO advantages and cost savings.
- Meet with individuals and team of account managers (to include account managers of satellite offices) on a regular basis to build communication and team support, share best practices, and effectively provide strategic guidance.
- Work with brokers and consultants, promoting and coordinating renewals.
- Be a liaison to DDMO managers as needed to address client issues regarding company policies and procedures.
- Support the management process as member of Delta Dental management team.
- Perform other work related duties as assigned.
Education, Skills, Personal Attributes, and Experience Required
- College degree in business or equivalent experience in the insurance industry or related position required.
- 5 -7 years health insurance industry and management experience.
- Proven results in successfully negotiating renewals.
- Must hold or acquire a Missouri license in health insurance.
- Knowledge/experience in finance, accounting and underwriting relative to group insurance business required.
- Has demonstrated success working within a matrix environment.
- Has relatable experience in strategic planning.
- Understanding of dental and vision terminology and procedures.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft office software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- General office working conditions which may require sitting for extended periods of time
- Infrequent overnight travel may be required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities require the ability to focus distant and near objects clearly. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and arms to handle, feel and reach as well as operate a personal computer.