Requisition Number: SENIO04607
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of the Senior Underwriting Technician is to perform administrative and technical support to Underwriting Staff to facilitate efficient and effective operations and a superior customer experience and to drive worker’s compensation underwriting revenue.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides technical support to Underwriting staff and Underwriting Supervisors
- Accurately enters new business submission information in required systems following company guidelines.
- Orders loss runs requested by agents and insureds via fax, email or mail.
- Responds to general inquiries concerning department activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Researches, assigns and adjusts workflow issues
- Identifies workflow issues and recommends changes for process improvement.
- Merges duplicated complex accounts and verifies accurate final information.
- Monitors underwriting queue and designates work to other Underwriting Techs as needed in support of the Supervisor.
- Audits and ensures correction of incorrect account information in the database.
Prepares new policy submissions for quoting
- Extracts and presents Experience Modification Reports from WCIRB/NCCI.
- May create, maintain, and update various information databases or other technology tools.
- Assists with other project or program tasks as requested by department personnel.
- Inputs data including claims history and loss runs into database for large and/or complex accounts.
Guides a team and acts as escalation resource for the department
- Trains incoming staff and acts as a resource for colleagues in the department to answer questions and solve complex problems.
- Provides training materials, documentation, and suggestions to Underwriting staff concerning submission processes, as needed.
- Ensures data quality, adherence to underwriting guidelines and other risk-related metrics for self and members of the team.
- Assists with the implementation of project plans within the department and is accountable for assigned ongoing project activities and assigned objectives of the team.
- Participates in the performance management process of members of the team and will provide input and recommendations to supervisors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED required; College courses in applied business subjects desirable. Minimum 6 months+ of experience in an administrative position using Microsoft Office Suite and encompassing direct administrative support responsibilities or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. Specific functional knowledge related to department may be required. Ability to effectively present information to coworkers and supervisors on a one-on-one basis and to organize information in a presentation is required. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write professional correspondence. Data entry skills and the ability to learn enterprise and department specific applications.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The worker is required to have visual acuity and be capable of operating and viewing computers and other electronic devices for extended periods of time. Must be able to clearly speak on the telephone.
This position maps to the Individual Contributor level. Additional competencies required: None
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment. The noise level is usually moderate in the work area.