Provides “first line response“ for a wide variety of maintenance requests within Beaumont and facilities. The Healthcare Mechanic is frequently the initial contact for the customer. Performs safety inspections; electronic, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and HVAC repairs; carpentry; sheet metal installations and maintenance activities on various hospital systems. Orders various supplies. Contacts vendors for warranty repairs on equipment. Emergency response, disaster response, elevator entrapments, shut downs on equipment. Part of chemical spill response team, Code Red. Assist Supervisor, Lead and Healthcare Mechanic 2 as needed.
- Conducts safety inspections of environmental rooms, incoming equipment (patient and staff-owned), electrical and conducts fire extinguisher inspections. Repairs problems identified in inspections. Provides Emergency Procedures for Utility Systems. Refers to appropriate trades as necessary.
- Performs mechanical repairs on office furniture and equipment, carts, kitchen equipment, stretchers, beds and wheelchairs (as well as fabrication), lockers, etc. Refers to appropriate trades as necessary.
- Performs plumbing repairs, caulking, and unclogging on faucets, sinks, showers, tubs and toilets. Emergency shutdowns; portable systems, fire sprinklers. Identifies leaks. Flood control and containment. Refers to appropriate trades as necessary.
- Performs carpentry maintenance activities such as hanging shelves, pictures and signs, repairs/replaces handles, hinges, and ceiling tiles; assembles and installs furniture and vinyl base molding and vinyl baseboard. Projects work for Facilities Development. Repairs and replaces cabinets, hardware, doors, locks, etc. Completes room hardware installation. Maintains Smoke and Fire Partitions. Emergency locksmith. Refers to appropriate trades as necessary.
- Performs electrical maintenance activities such as replacing light bulbs, resetting breakers, fabricating extension cords, and troubleshooting non-working electrical appliances, bed repairs, loose switches and outlets. Perform annual electrical outlet inspections. Refers to appropriate trades if necessary.
- Performs refrigeration maintenance activities such as preventative maintenance on refrigerators, drinking fountains and ice machines; cleans out drain lines on refrigerator equipment. Responds to Refrigerator Alarm System and defrost refrigerators. Minor repairs on refrigerators and ice machines. Refers to appropriate Trades as necessary.
- Reads and records data from Hospital mechanical systems.
- Investigates all temperature control problems reported throughout the Hospital.
- Checks for defects in equipment, faulty operations, fire hazards, unsafe working conditions and takes corrective action.
- Perform weekly Eyewash inspections and Dietary drain cleaning.
- Perform monthly convector and vent cleaning, Isolation Room Inspections, and Exit Light inspections.
- Perform annual Medical Gas Testing.
- Constant monitoring of the Building Automation Systems and follow up with appropriate trade(s). As required.
- Fire stop remediation.
- Ordering of parts and shop supplies.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and repair Pneumatic Tube System 24/7.
- Assist Supervisor, Lead and Healthcare Mechanic 2 as needed.
- Is required to be included in the week-end, holiday and shift rotation.
- Uses tools and equipment appropriately.
- Maintains and contributes to a safe work environment.
- Must be eligible for overtime status. Is able to work reasonable extended hours to accomplish priority repairs and to fill in for disaster, vacation or illness coverage.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Some coursework at a community college or approved technical training institution related to building maintenance or skilled trades (Preferred)
- Knowledge of Interim Life Safety (ILSM) and how to identify and implement the process appropriately
- Building Maintenance experience (Preferred)
- Painting experience (Preferred)