Position: Water/Wastewater Superintendent
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in engineering or the hard sciences such as engineering, chemistry, geology, biology, mathematics, or physics. Requires six years in water treatment with some supervisory experience or closely related experience. The equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
An “A” Level Water Treatment Plant Operator License is required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of the operating principles and practices and the maintenance requirements of water treatment and pumping plant equipment and machinery.
- Advanced knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and ordinances and regulations pertaining to the treatment of water.
- Extensive knowledge of the requirements of Surface Water Rule, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, the Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule, the Disinfection By-product Rule, the Revised Total Coliform Rule and the Lead and Copper Rule.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with water plant and related activities.
- Knowledge of chemistry as applied to water treatment.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory principles, techniques, terminology and equipment.
- Knowledge of current literature, trends and developments in the fields of water treatment and plant operation.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage and maintain continuity of large-scale facility operations and staff.
- Ability to detect defects and to take appropriate action in the operation of water treatment equipment, chemical feed systems and other related equipment.
- Ability to keep accurate records and create reports for compliance and analysis.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages daily operations of the Water Plant, and Raw Water Pump Stations to ensure adequate supply of water for safe consumption, fire protection and general use.
- Manages compliance with the Surface Water Rule, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, the Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule, the Disinfection By-product Rule, the Revised Total Coliform Rule and the Lead and Copper Rule.
- Supervises Water Plant Operators and laboratory staff, to include hiring, coaching, discipline, training, appraising performance, planning, assigning and directing work.
- Manages, interprets, and reports to regulatory agencies all of the data obtained by the operational and lab staff.
- Prepares and writes reports for all regulatory agencies, as well as provide reports and updates to the Director.
- Creates budget and controls spending for assigned facilities.
- Oversees facility security, Capital Improvement Projects and safety programs as required by OSHA and the City of Rock Hill.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.