Position: Refuse Truck Operator III
Salary: $18.52 Per Hour
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
High school graduate or GED equivalent and at least one-year experience in heavy truck operations or closely related experience. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
A valid Commercial Driver's License is required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations governing equipment operation.
- Knowledge of the principles of operation of large trucks.
- Ability to read and follow printed / electronic maps or navigation devices.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally, demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs vehicle inspections before starting the route and after it is completed and turns in the inspection sheets to the supervisor.
- Assists with completing the other collection routes or filling in on a different collection vehicle as needed.
- Completes the assigned collection route each day and keeps a record of problems or violations for the supervisor.
- Operates heavy equipment on city streets and highways: front loader, automated side loader, grappler, automated leaf vacuum truck or rear loading garbage truck, and recycling truck.
- Opens and closes the dumpster enclosure gates at businesses.
- Removes loose trash from the truck throughout the day.
- Maintains the equipment by cleaning out inside the cab, getting in the rear of the garbage trucks and cleaning out loose trash and debris, washing the vehicle and greasing the pivot points.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.